Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Itchy nipple. No rash. Not continual. Started about one week

Itchy nipple. No rash. Not continual. Started about one week ago.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.

Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

How old are you?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and reply.

Customer: 66
Dr Uzair :

Have you experienced this before?

Customer: Occasionally. Not for as long as this. Ignore most of the time. I do have mild eczema, but there is no rash.
Dr Uzair :

Is there any discharge from the nipple?

Customer: No. Nipple and breasts haven't changed in any way. Can't feel any lumps.
Dr Uzair :

This is most likely due to atopic dermatitis of the nipple - areola complex. This can happen to anyone due to latex in the bra, detergents used to wash linen or sheets, a reaction to clothing or just chafing of the nipple to the clothing while walking or jogging but tends to affect individuals suffering from eczema more often and rather easily.

Dr Uzair :

The rash usually does not appear or is not noticed in the nipple areola region like it is noticed on other parts of the body owing to the skin texture, color and appearance in this area.

Dr Uzair :

Friction itch and fungal infections are also common post menopause.

Dr Uzair :

This is not anything dangerous since, you do not have any lumps, skin breakage or discharge from the nipple. Which are hallmark signs of breast cancer.

Dr Uzair :

I suggest that you apply a 1 percent hydrocortisone + fuscidic acid ointment on the nipple area twice a day.

Dr Uzair :

Keep the area moisturized and do not use any soap on the area till the symptoms subside.

Dr Uzair :

Do not use loose fitting bras instead use a sports bra specially during the day hours.

Dr Uzair :

Hope this has helped. Please do leave a positive rating for the assist. Reply back if you have more queries. Best wishes.