Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

i feel bloated all the time and am gaining unexplained weight.

i feel bloated all the time and am gaining unexplained weight. i have had blood tests which have came back normal and my doctor has said it is water retention and given me nothing to treat my symptoms. i am 34, female and have a good diet and exercise regularly. my last period lasted for one day, i constantly feel full and bloated with constant wind. i am becoming very distressed about my situation. can you please help?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. How much weight have you gained over the past 3 months?

Q. Are you on any medication?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX on 40mg of citalipram and have gained the best part of 2 stone.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the details.

2 stone over 3 months is significant weight gain and can not be explained by water retention alone. The body sometimes behaves like this inspite of the normal unchanged daily intake and the activity levels. Much of this is due to the change in hormonal influences and fluctuations in the body caused by medication or a dysfunctional gland like the thyroid gland, which slows the metabolism.
I suggest that you have your Thyroid function tests done. Citalopram can also cause weight changes and you can ask your doctor if you really need it and if you do, then you should consult a Nutritionist or a dietician to help you with a newly balanced diet charted according to your body weight and current activity level.
If you have an underactive thyroid then thyroid hormone replacement is the treatment of choice.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My thyroid has been checked and is normal, my go says citalopram is the best drug for me as I have tried many over the years. I know my body and feel something is wrong but I am not getting anywhere. Its making me terribly depressed.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I see the other expert has opted out

make sure your TSH levels when checked are between 0.3 and 3.0. TSH levels above 3.0 can mean you are hypothyroid

if you are feeling bloated and full of gas, you could be having a bowel allergy like glutten allergy causing inflammation of your colon. have you had testing to check for celiac spruce disorder? this can be tested for and treated and you can avoid glutten which can help you loose weight.

also have you have your blood androgen levels checked? you could have something like polycystic ovarian syndrome which can cause your blood androgen levels to be elevated and this can cause weight gain and difficulty in loosing weight.
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician