Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

hi I went to gp on Thursday with pain in my upper chest between

Customer Question

hi I went to gp on Thursday with pain in my upper chest between shoulder and side and left side of left brest. it was painfull and tener to touch in that area. the spasm was also happening in left cheek of face near cheek bone. on gp examing me she said it was muscular and told me to take naproxyen and paracetamol it will take 7 to 10 days bbefore it feels better if it gets any worse come back. on Friday eveing the pain and spasm had gone into left arm from shoulder . so I phoned out of hours doctors they told me to go checked out at hospital as I was feeling dizzy and sick aswell. so I did get checked at hospital they did and ecg and took 4 lots of blood to test 2 lots of blood counts don't know what others were for. ecg was normal and bloods were normal. after another examination by the doctor at hospital he also said its not your heart because pain would be different and ecg and bloods were normal. he to aGREED IT WAS MUSCULAR
and also said take naproxen and paracetamol . and also on Monday get muscle relaxants from gp. the spasm is also in left top of shoulder in muscles. im asking your advice to see if I should get it rechecked at hospital as the spasms is in left side of cheek of face near cheek bone on n off more today.or is it part of the muscle spasm situation going on many thanks
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Are you on any medication?

Q. Previously diagnosed medical conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im on simstivastin 40mg premique low dose hrt lamprazol 30mg sorry if there not spelt right but its for my stomach and im takin naproxyen for the muscle spasms. medical conditions chlorlesrol. slight inflammation of liver.acid reflux . anxiety .sinus n throat problems. lower back problem

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply, Rita.

With your symptoms the first thing that comes to mind is to rule out heart disease and an acute coronary event. Since, that has been ruled out, the next most likely thing is muscle spasms. It is always vital to rule out the cause of the muscle spasms. The most common cause is dehydration induced electrolyte imbalance.
Muscle spasms can take about 7 to 10 days to go away completely.
This is mostly due to the fact that electrolytes can take that long to replenish themselves once the treatment has been started and in the course of these 7 to 10 days, patients are advised to take muscle relaxants, pain killers and anti inflammatory medication that you are already using but to add to that you should also be on oral rehydration solutions like gatorade and pedialyte to replenish lost electrolyte stores. Along with this bed rest and massage therapy is also beneficial, massage should be done with Ibuprofen liquigel thrice a day gentl.
Apart from electrolyte imbalances, cervical spondylosis and vertebral disc disease should also be ruled out in long standing or recurrent cases, this can be done by obtaining x rays of the cervical spine in 2 views.
You should discuss this with your doctor on your next routine visit but for now I suggest that you give this the required time to heal and amend with the treatment that you have been advised.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had a ct scan on my upper and lower spine 6 to 8 moths ago all it revealed was deteriation slightly more than last scan said just take attiflamatories also had xrays done a month before that on lower and top of spine revealed same thing . so what would be causing the dizzieness and feeling sick many thanks

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
So, this means that you do have spine disease that might be a cause of the spasms or the radiculopathy.
Dizziness and feeling sick can be a sign of many things, it includes electrolyte imbalances, cervical spine disease, headaches, sympathetic overload etc. These are nonspecific signs that do not point towards a specific cause. I suggest that you see your Neurologist as well.
Hope this helps.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you very much I will talk to gp about what you have suggested ty

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it was the lower discs that had the deteriation . the spine and back clinic wasn't worried or concerned about it sent me to pain management to manage pain . but I have had lower disc and upper disc ps for many years and it was confirmed as spondylitis. I have regulat scans and xrays done when I have a flare up but it only happens once or twice a year sometimes once every 4 to 5 years none of the specialists have never refered me to a neurologist I am under the spine and neck clinic why would they have not once mentioned or referred me to see one it is quite worry that you have mentioned it and they haven't .

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Neurologist and orthopaedic surgeons who have received special training in spine conditions are the best people to seek help from in vertebral degenerative disc disease.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well I would hope that they are specialy trained in these fields as I have also seen a surgeon who just confirmed the same as specialiststhey have looked at xrays and scans . I would have thought they would refer me to see these other specialists. if they thought it was revelant or where concerned . I just find it unreal that you have mentioned it and not them we put our trust in these specialists surgeons gps and think its nothing to worry abouit other wise surely they would refer people to these other specialists you have mentioned. and I thought I was seeking best possible advice from these people

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply, Rita.
Your currents doctors are the best people to trust, since they have seen your scans and x rays they would have surely referred you if they thought you needed it. Having the priviledge of actually looking at the patients investigations in real life and examining the patient is a big thing in a diagnosis and since, I do not have it in your case, I would ask that you trust their opinion more than any one else's however, you can discuss your thoughts with them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanks again for all your advice it has eased my mind and I will continue to trust them thank you

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi again I went to the doctors again today. as my chest felt heavy and it seems like I was breathing deeply. the doctor listened to my lungs and chest and said they were clear. doctor asked about breathlessness. but I feel like im not short of air or gasping for air.its just that ive had a viral infection .that started with a rash . then led to sore throat painful. then I had a heavy head. then I lost my voice for 2 days.its still not right. but doctor said throat looks normal. lungs and chest are clear. I also have a irritating cough ebvery now and then. when I get this feeling in my throat.she couldn't test my oxygen levels as it wouldn't work as I had nail polish on . but it was normal 2 weeks ago. im concerned on thinking about it now maybe my deep breathing is do to breathlessness. ive had recent blood count test done and other bloods done all is normal. should I go bk to doctors and get my oxygen levels check.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for thr reply.
If a person has low oxygen levels then that is evident on clinical examination. Finger tips, lips and tongue appear bluish or purple in color. If your doctor hasn't called you back to get your Oxygen levels checked then there is no need to go just for that.
Best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi doctor azair i would like to ask you another question. i hope you can answer it as it is in a different feild as before.im not sure wheather its because im dehydrated my urine has been normal all day until i passed urine around an hour ago. it was orange in colour didnt notice any blood in it . was no pain while passing it.i have had very mild pains in lower abdomen . ive had recent scans done on liver kideys bladder and bloods done all was normal.i will check again on next passing urine. im takin naproxen . iron tablets. premique hrt. simvistatin. lamparazole 30mg

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for th question.
Iron supplements can change the colour of urine to bright yellow or orange to brown. If you do not have any symptoms like burning in the urethra, increase in frequency of urination, fever or blood in urine then there is nothing to worry about, this is most likely due to the iron supplement or a food colour. Also, iron pilld can cause abdominal cramps and pain as well as constipation or diarrhea.
Please do leave a positive rating forbthe assist.
Best.