DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi I am a 20 year old male who just had a suture on the side

Customer Question

Hi I am a 20 year old male who just had a suture on the side of my nose. After they were removed, it was covered by a scab however I picked on it while I was half asleep. So I put some anti-bacterial skin ointment on it for about 2 weeks and it still did not close up so i thought to let it dry up and scab again. It has been over 7 weeks now and it still has not closed. The cut is very small, however, it is red and hast closed up. Please help.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
It can be staph bacteria, which will not clear up with just any antibiotic ointment.
You need to
a. show this to the doctor that did the suture.
b. get prescription mupiricin cream, which covers staph.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the answer Dr.Thomas. I will try getting the cream as soon as possible. I used to cover it up with lots of anti bacterial skin ointment for about 2 weeks, I am worried that maybe it wont close up now? Have I tricked my body into thinking it has scabbed over due to the ointments?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
If it is staph, it will close up and you won't see a thing.
Make sure the doctor looks at this.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you doc. Should I put the mupirocin cream and then cover the cut or should I leave it open? If it is staph, when should I expect it to close?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You would leave it open.
Within a week.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks doc. I live in Nepal, so I may not be able to find mupirocin cream here. Is there any other cream you can suggest if i cannot find mupirocin cream?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
It is also called bactroban. Mupiricin is the generic.

Oral bactrim if not.
But I am not going to treat you, and as I have advised, this needs to be directed by your doctor.

So I recommend no treatment without an exam.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Doc. Turns out the ointment I had been using for 2 weeks WAS Mupirocin ointment! What should I do now?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Go in and have this cultured.
It might need surgical attention.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Or maybe it is just infected? Because sometimes when I go out, I usually put some concealer make-up to cover the cut.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Staph is an infection.
It has not cleared up.
You need to see the doctor
ASAP.