Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Ive been on Depo Provera since 2005 and havent had any periods

I've been on Depo Provera since 2005 and haven't had any periods since. Until of late that is. The last two injections I've had a period in between by week 10 this first time and now on week 8. I'm a little concerned that I am not protected. Maybe my knowledge on periods and the depo might be a little warped but why has it started now? Could I be at risk of getting pregnant? Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--it is possible to get pregnant on DepoProvera but in your case I don't think that's the case and you're still protected. That said, you should see your doctor for a pelvic exam and an ultrasound since this could be from an ovarian cyst or from uterine fibroids