Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Behind knee aching and occasional prickly sensation. Uncomfortable

Behind knee aching and occasional prickly sensation. Uncomfortable to lie with leg straight.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
How long has this been bothering you?
What dose of ibuprofen have you been taking?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Dr Love

Been bothering me for slightly for approximately 2 weeks but has got worse the last couple of days. I have been taken 6 caplets per day for 2 days. The caplets are 200mg.

Thank you for the additional information.

The most common cause of pain behind the knee is from arthritis within the knee. The arthritis in the knee can also cause a swelling of the lining of the knee that extends into the sift tissue behind the knee, called a Baker's cyst.

There is another concern, though, which is that there could be some inflammation in the vein behind the knee, which also may be associated with a blood clot in the vein. However, this will usually cause other symptoms, including pain that extends into the calf or swelling of the leg and foot. However, if the pain can be improved, this would be less of a concern.

The ibuprofen is a reasonable first step, but it may require a higher dose. The optimal dose of ibuprofen for the relief of inflammation is 1600 - 2400 mg per day, in divided doses. There is a prescription strength of 800 mg, intended to be taken 2-3 times per day, but it would also be OK to use an equivalent amount of the over the counter strength. It also may help to apply moist heat to the knee, including behind the knee.

If these interventions ease the pain, then no further evaluation or intervention is necessary, but if the pain persists, it would be appropriate to be seen.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.