How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 45987
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

Hi I wonder if you can help I am covered in hives a really

Resolved Question:

Hi I wonder if you can help I am covered in hives a really itchy rash it feels like I have fallen in a patch of stinging nettles, it is driving me mad I have had it now for over 10 weeks the dr has given me all sorts of tablets and creams they are stumped as to what it is!! Have got an appointment for the end of May can't wait that long this is making me very depressed
Thank you in desperation
Jane Terry
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am sorry you have been having such bad hives and itchy skin

sounds like a very bad allergic reaction possibly or from a bad fungal skin infection.

what tablets and and creams have you tried so far? for how long?

can you upload a photo of your skin and hives?

here are upload instructions to upload a clear jpg image

type a word in the textbox and highlight it

then select the paper clip icon to upload a jpg

this opens a window where you can click next to the text box to select the jpg or pdf file on your computer to upload into JustAnswer

have you consulted with an allergiest yet for skin allergy testing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry have no idea how to send you a photograph, this rash came after I had a nasty ear throat and chest infection which was told they were viral, sorry I don't have any of the medication left ,I had steroid cream and steroid tablets which I had to take 4 in the morning took for 2 weeks didn't do anything ,and have lots of creams have tried eurax lotion and cream oilatum in the bath nothing works

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
viral infections often can cause rash

you might need to go on an antiviral treatment like acyclovir or valcyclovir to help the rash if the hives and rash doesn't get better

you could be having a bad adult chicken pox rash. chicken pox is caused by a varacella virus infection in the body and can cause itchy rash on your skin as well.

I would consult with an infectious disease doctor and see if using antiviral medicaitons can help your rash.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I need to go back to my Gp to get antiviral drugs?


Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
yes, you can talk to your GP about medications such as antiviral drugs

and to see if your rash might be a viral rash like a chicken pox rash

also check to see if you might have a skin fungal infection. if you have a skin fungal infection rash, then you would need antifungal pills and creams to treat your rash.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have tried anti fungal tablets they didn't work


Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
I see

I would talk to your doctor about antiviral medications to see if they might work

also you should see specialist doctors

like an infectious disease doctor to see if this is infectious

also an allergy doctor to do skin allergy testing to see if this might be due to an allergic response

Dr. David and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you