Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am trying for a baby and at the time of the month when I

I am trying for a baby and at the time of the month when I don't know if I am pregnant or not. I am supposed to be going mountain biking on Thursday and Friday. My period would be due on Friday. We do quite hard core downhill trails and strenuous uphills too. Should I avoid it just in case or will I be ok even if I am pregnant at this early stage?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
I think that you should have a urine pregnancy test done.
If thats negative now and then if its negative just retest again on Thursday morning or Wednesday morning to be sure that you are negative.
Strenuous physical activity is not recommended during early pregnancy.
The most best test if you want to be dead sure now is a blood pregnancy test called as beta HCG test of the blood.
So if you want to be dead sure you can have this test done.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me for my services when you are done by clicking one of the smilies below.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I presume a test of blood would be a doctor's trip? I have done a urine test and it is negative at the moment. If I am used to strenuous exercise is it more ok to continue into pregnancy? What are the risks and why are their risks so early in possible pregnancy?

Thanks,

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
There have been some studies that suggest there there is some risk of miscarriage with strenuous exercise. There was a large study in 2007 that indicated women who engaged in strenuous exercise were more likely to have miscarriages, but there have been other studies that found no link between exercise and miscarriage.
But like you mention that you routinely exercise like this so the risk in your case may either be minimal to absent.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Yes a blood pregnancy test means a trip to the doctor. Sorry, forgot to answer that one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry if this is a repeat, my last message seemed to clash with your incoming...

Would there be an increased risk of miscarriage if I fall as well at such an early stage or would it be mainly due to strenuous exercise?

I have a such an active lifestyle and I'm finding it really difficult to find a balance between taking it easy 'just in case' and trying to carry on as normal as possible. It's always those 2 weeks when I am waiting for my period (potentially) when I'm not sure what to do and what not to do!

Would a miscarriage at such an early stage just resemble a heavy period? Just wondering for future reference as my husband took me on a 'gentle' bike ride yesterday that turned out to be very strenuous in high winds!!!

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Yes if you fall and there is abdominal trauma particularly, then there would be an increased risk of miscarriage.

Would a miscarriage at such an early stage just resemble a heavy period?
Yes it would resemble a heavy period.