Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

15 months ago I was diagnosed with Sciatica, I have been given

15 months ago I was diagnosed with Sciatica, I have been given many different kinds of pain killer, virtually to little or no affrect with the exception of Gabapentin which I could not deal with the side effects. It was eventually decided that I should have an MRI, the resutls of this where L4/5 right lateral recess stenosis. I am awaiting an appointment to see somebody at Addenbrooks hospital to discuss treatment.

1 What is right lateral recess stenosis.
2 what are the treatments offered.
3 If surgery is suggested what are the dangers
4 will I have to remain imobile for an amount of time.
5 How long will the recovery period be.
6 Can it reoccure.
7 What causes it
8 If no action is taken on my part with the exeption of pain killers what is the progrosis
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

1)This is an area of the lower spine that has arthritis that is pinching on a nerve

2)likely surgery to clear out arthritis

3)infection, bleeding, paralyzation

4)just a couple days

5)4-6 weeks

7)age/arthritis

8)worsened pain and immobility over time

this surgery has a high success rate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information but what goes on during the op and will it reoccure

During the operation they basically just scrape out bone that is pressing on a nerve.

It can reoccur with time but it usually has a long lasting effect
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)