Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have had for a few weeks now a tightening of the

Customer Question

I have had for a few weeks now a tightening of the foreskin even when the penis is flaccid accompanied by a red and hot and itchy rash. I have been using canestan cream and though it offers some relief,hasn't cured the symptoms most especially the tight foreskin which appears to have shrunk and changed shape? Please can you offer some advice, although I have had thrush once when younger I haven't experienced the foreskin problem before.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello any unprotected sexual exposure before this started?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Customer:

I never have protected sex as I have had a vasectomy. My wife doesn't seem to have any symptoms although it's been about a month since we last has sex.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok if it was with your wife thats no problem

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i asked only to rule out std like chlamydia which may also cause this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

since std are ruled out this is certain to be balanitis

Dr. P. Jyoti :

The main causes are:

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Contact dermatitis: a new soap or detergent which is irritating to the child may cause such inflammation. You should see if you have been using a new soap, etc. during this period and stop it if you find any source.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Tight foreskin: a tight foreskin may predispose to inadequate hygiene.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Inadequate Hygiene: poor hygiene, often a problem in children, can lead to overgrowth of bacteria or fungi. That is why it is seen more commonly in uncircumcised men.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

in your case conditions like tight foreskin or contact dermatitis may have caused this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Treatment is:

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Adequate hygiene - wash with a lot of clean water, avoid soap as it further irritates the skin.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Removing any irritant products like soaps.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Use antibiotic ointments: you can use Neosprin ointment available OTC.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

However, if these steps are not sufficient to clear the inflammation within about 1 week, or it increases, or there is repeated infections, you should consult a doctor.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

if neosporin is not available otc you can ask for any other microbicidal ointment at the pharmacist

Dr. P. Jyoti :

these steps will help, but at the same time do show your doctor also for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

do you have any questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

if you do not have any other questions please provide a rating

Customer:

I haven't heard of balanitis. As far as hygiene goes if anything I wash my penis too much, even after urinating if I feel there's a strong smell and maybe its the soap irritating. Its not so much the itchy heat rash but the foreskin problem i'm wottied about as I said its really tight even when flaccid and painful to pull back. Thank you for the advice I'll ask for some Neosprin ointment from my local chemist and follow it up with the microbicidal ointment if this fails. Then it'll be the doctors and std clinic failing that I suppose. Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it must be difficult analyzing 100% over the internet.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

glad to help