DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

hi there, i came off the depo injection in sept 13 and have

hi there, i came off the depo injection in sept '13 and have not had a period yet. i tested to see if i was ovulating and i did on the 4-7th April '14. whats going on?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately depo can disrupt your cycle up to a year in some cases....

Have you been back to the prescribing doctor?...what type of doctor was this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

GP said just wait but I wasn't aware I would be ovulating and not getting a period - i didn't know 1 could happen without the other? I'm getting so many symptoms and then just nothing happens - driving me a bit mad.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Each part of the cycle is under specific hormonal control

At this point, I would order a sex hormone panel, an AM cortisol, as well as a TSH [thyroid] and see if everything is OK.
I suggest you get a refer to an OB doctor or endocrinologist at this point.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so can 1 happen without the other? If I ovulated on the 4th April may I still have a period or should I have had one already? It sounds to me you are a Doctor from the US? I live in the UK, would they still do everything you said you would do you know?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Each phase of the cycle is controlled by a different hormonal configuration.
Yes.

Yes, in the UK the doctors I am recommending can do this testing.

In fact, you might even find a functional medicine doctor as they have advanced training in correct this situation.

We just trained a group a year or so ago.

If you call the IFM they can give you contacts.

www.functionalmedicine.org

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the link but there are no consultants near me and that's not something I would try just yet. I just wanted some info as to WHY I would be ovulating and not having a period and if a period might still be on the way.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You an form eggs and still not have a period.
That should correct itself.
In fact the UK consultants are not all listed on the site, you would have to call.
But, an OB/gyn doctor or endocrinologist, both available widely, can do the same thing.