Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

please tell me how to get rid of cystitis, which i have for

please tell me how to get rid of cystitis, which i have for nearly a month, i have had 2 antibiotics,plus remedies from the health shop. nothing has worked
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. What are your symptoms and have you had a urine culture?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have a urine infection,which hasn't cleared up, i have a lot of pressure and pain at times

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Kathleen but again--have you had a culture to see what the bacteria is and what antibiotics it's sensitive to? And what antibiotics have you been given? And has your doctor said this is definitely still an infection that hasn't cleared up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am awaiting the result of another urine sample, my gp hopes to match that with the proper antibiotic, i am sure i don't know what you mean by culture, i have just given two urine samples. he has confirmed infection is still there. trimethoptin and germintin

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--that's the same as a culture and sensitivity which identifies the precise bacteria involved and what antibiotics it is sensitive to. While both those antibiotics are usually effective for bladder infections, it sounds like you now need an antibiotic like Cipro, Levaquin, or Biaxin--and all of these are in different antibiotic families from the two antibiotics you've had so far. What you've tried on you own are fine and sometimes can clear up bladder infections, but I think once you're put on the right antibiotic, this will clear up very soon