Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi I suffered a vertical fracture of the knee (hairline) three

Hi I suffered a vertical fracture of the knee (hairline) three weeks ago, have a leg brace which I unfasten because of heat around the knee. I am now experiencing pins and needles..is this normal?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--which bone was fractured and where exactly are the pins and needles?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The patella, pins and needles in foot, tenderness round knee but leg looks/feels normal.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Judith. Where exactly in your foot and is this constant?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Seems to be the sole of the foot. Have to say am not very mobile, just moving round the bedroom. I was told I could put the foot down, when I do, it gets more tingly and goes red
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
And after you move around, how long does that last?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The redness stops when I sit back down, both feet look normal., then the toes more affected by pins and needles. Was wondering if an aspirin would help with circulation
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Judith. This isn't a circulation problem. It sounds as though you may have a pinched nerve in the knee area that's causing this. I assume you've had an MRI of your knee, but, if not, you need that. That said, this should resolve in time but you need physical therapy if you haven't had it already
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX X-ray and it said irregularity on left side of knee. I have already assumed that I have damaged a nerve and will now ask for a scan, probably won't get one though on NHS. Lastly, could this be permanent?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No, not likely permanent but the physical therapy is a must. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you