Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Hello, I feel I am at the the end of mt tether with this problem.

Hello, I feel I am at the the end of mt tether with this problem. I have been investigating online the possibility Thayer I have ocd but I have the obsessive symptoms without any compulsive signs. I am 46. I am under a lot of stress with elderly parents and running a business. I am plagued by negative intrusive thoughts....then I can end up obsessing about something not even important for days..my current obsession is how well my nine year old son is doing at his soccer club..I am now afraid to travel because of fear of terrorist attacks. I am practising yoga and I am on a mindfulness course but nothing is helping! God I use to be such a free spirit and found holistic therapies so great..but whether it's my age or what I am getting no releif and I am starting to get tormented. I have a great husband who helps me but i don't want to go to my gp. I want to find ways to help myself especially as I don't want any impact on my son over my behaviour, I would be most grateful of your advise and what you think I may be dealing with thankyou
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Since how long are you having this problem?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have any diagnosed medical problems?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you on any medications for anything?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Customer: Hello well I have been having it very infrequently over three years but over the past year I am battling with it almost every second day
Customer: i suffer from migraine and I take 2.5mg tablet when I feel it coming on
Dr. Shahzad MD :

ok

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you been to any doctor for this or had any tests done?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

How is your sleep?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

How are your periods?

Customer: no I have had an MRI done just to confirm migraine problem. To be honest I am very hesitant to go to my gp..I am afraid any diagnosis may affect my life insurance policy if I need to report it to my insurance company
Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that you do require help in the form of medications.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would like that you should be on some SSRI like fluoxetine or paroxetine.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I do not think that contacting your GP for this problem will affect your insurance.

Customer: Ok..is it a type of ocd issue do you think I may have?
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that you are having obsessive thoughts and medications would help.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Also talk therapy or psychotherapy may also help a great deal.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Your life insurance policy should not be affected by this.

Customer: Yes I know deep down you are right and now I just have to pluck up the courage to admit it to my gp..I am so disappointed that I haven't been able to help myself but I have a nine year old boy to think of and take
Customer: priority so now I just have to make the next move
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes I totally agree with you.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You do need to make the move and you need to be determined.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Determination and persistence are the key here.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Just keep at it.

Customer: ok dr shahzad, thankyou very much..you have confirmed what I need to do next so that is some help..thankyou
Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Tip/bonus is always appreciated.
Good bye :)