Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My husband had an injury at work in 2009. He was lifting a

My husband had an injury at work in 2009. He was lifting a long strip of metal approx. to shoulder height when he felt a sharp snap in his shoulder and it was extremely painful. He thought at first he had dislocated his shoulder. However, after some weeks went by of him going back and forward to the hospital it was found that he had a tear to the supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendon and ended up having surgery that was not successful. My husband, although his shoulder is getting worse a quite a rapid rate, still works but does get invalidity benefit from work and has a claim going forward. A consultant for his works has stated that he feels this injury although compatible with an injury to a vulnerable supraspinatus muscle, would not in his opinion be sufficiently severe to cause a tear to the infraspinatus tendon which was noted at the time of his surgery. My husband never had any problem with his shoulder before, he is a manual worker, he did however visit his dr in 2004 for a stiff painful shoulder and was given anti-inflammatory, no blood test, x-rays, mri was done. This was an isolated visit and my husband had no further problems but the consultant is now using this saying my husband had a degenerative disease in his shoulder. Do you think this accident could do this damage to both tendons bearing in mind my husband had been fit and well before hand. 

It was a LEFT shoulder rota cuff tear. When my husband went to gp in 2004 it was for a stiff RIGHT shoulder

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Hi there.

Still need help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what further information DO YOU NEED PLEASE. if HE HAD A PROBLEM BEFORE THE ACCIDENT WITH HIS SHOULDER SURELY HE WOULD HAVE HAD SOME SYMPTOMS.

absolutely this could have!

I disagree with the doctor you are seeing

If he had a tear there before the accident he would have had symptoms
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)