Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi, I had blepharitis for about five months now. I was only

Hi, I had blepharitis for about five months now. I was only told I had it about a month back and ever since and I have been trying everything and anything to heal my eyes. They are very dry now the eye specialist said, so I am on the artificial tears and doing the scrubs/massages necessary. However I am not seeing any improvement. My eyes have just seemed to have got worse, covered in tiny little red veins all going to the pupil. It is getting me anxious and depressed to the point I have taken time off work. My eyes never gave me any grief before this. Can bloodshot eyes caused by dryness and blepharitis heal? Will eyes stay permanently dry after blepharitis? So depressed don't know what to do.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Do you have dry mouth too?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, my lips are slightly dry but other than that no

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I see you have relisted the question for other doctors to help with

if you have dry eyes and dry mouth, you could have a condition called sjogren's syndrome

have you been tested for sjogren's syndrome? you would need blood testing and possibly a biopsy of your oral mucosa to be diagnosed for this condition.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am relatively young though (27) and see that this condition mainly affects older women?

I feel the blepharitis - as it was late to be diagnosed - may be the reason for the dry eyes as it does affect the tears. I have taken a blood test and hopefully the results will say if there is anything else wrong.

If it is sjogren's syndrome what can be done to help?

Can bloodshot eyes due to dry eyes get back to normal?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
sjorgren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease

so specialized blood testing is needed to check for autoimmune factors

and these blood tests are not done in routine blood testing.

so if you just had routine blood testing so far, most likely you have not been tested for autoimmune factors such as ANA, ESR, C reactive protein, and SSA/Ro and SSB/La.

more aggressive eye drops can be used. also specialized eye drops such as restasis for chronic dry eye can be used as well.

yes, blood shot eyes due to dry eye can get back to normal

in the USA, many places are experiencing spring and allergy season at this time with high pollen counts as well. new seasonal allergies can often cause symptoms of dry eye, itchy eyes, blood shot eyes. these symptoms can be helped with allergy medications, and anti allergy eye drops as well. many of these now are over the counter.

you should follow up with your eye doctor as well since it has been now 5 months. you should be seeing your eye doctor every 3-4 months for eye evaluation. testing of your tear amounts in your eye with Rose Bengal testing to see if your eye is properly making tears properly.

when is your eye doctor follow up appointment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can a regular GP refer me for this specialised blood testing?

I am based in the UK and it happened like an overnight infection one day in winter - I don't have any allergies but have tried anti histamines and they haven't made much difference : (

My next appointment is 15 May, I have been advised just to use artificial tears and gently scrub the eyelids every 2 days (doesn't seem enough?) Apparently I have blepharitis very mildly (really doesn't seem that way!) but it's taken me four months to get it diagnoised and, in that time, I have tried tons of drops which - some being strong steroids - may have made my eye worse?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
you should not be using strong steroid eye drops on your eyes. this can cause worse issues like corneal thinning.

you do need to be referred by your GP for blood testing to check for sjorgren's syndrome

and you need a follow up appointment with an ophthalmologist to get your eyes checked again and to see if the steroid drops have injured your eyes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been prescribed Maxtirol and fusicidic acid countless times (GP kept sending me away with them to my frustration) and I asked one optician if they can cause damage and they said no, but I knew it must do after a length of time.

So scared my eyes won't recover and I might have this condition on top of blepharitis.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
Maxitrol is a Neomycin, Polymyxin B and Dexamethasone Ophthalmic eye drop

fusidic acid eye drops have an antibiotic property to them.

your eyes will recover. don't let your anxiety get out of control here.

just make sure you go back to see your GP doctor and an eye specialist.

make sure you drink enough water during the day.

give your eyes a break during the day if you are using the computer for long periods of time.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am finding it hard to cling onto hope when I have seen the same bloodshot eyes month after month, trying not to be neurotic but it has really got me down.

I was scared that with blepharitis being a life long condition, and this potential sjogren being the same that this means the condition of my eyes will be life long?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
blepharitis should not be a life long condition.

it is normal to see blood vessels running through your sclera or the white of your eyes.

are you using Johnsons and Johnsons baby shampoo to scrub your eye lids in the shower for the blepharitis? if you are using another type of soap, this could be irritating your eyes.

are you getting enough sleep? if you are not getting enough sleep, this can cause your eyes to be dry and irritated and blood shot as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been told blepharitis needs a life long regime of hot scrubs/ massages : s otherwise it comes back.

I have also been told using artifical tears too much can stop the eye naturally producing its own tears. So much conflicting info and I keep reading horror stories on the internet about people struggling with the condition.

I am using ocusoft lid scrub which is specially for people with blepharitis.

I am struggling to sleep out of worry and crying alot because of the depression. I know this isn't helping but finding it hard to control atm.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
I see.

it sounds like you need to see your doctor to be started on medications to help your depression symptoms and your anxiety symptoms.

there are medications like SSRI agents like zoloft or paxil or lexapro or celexa or prozac which can help your crying spells and your worry symptoms

it sounds like you are having too much worrying about this being a life long condition.

have you taken antidepression medications before like the ones I have mentioned above?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am on anti depressants atm, I really need to pull myself together but my looks mean a lot to me and seeing permanent bloodshot eyes has made me become a social recluse, which is pathetic.

I guess it's cos the eye specialists I have seen to date haven't been v informative or helpful. I have asked them twice if it will go with time and they just looked at me blankly.

Sorry for all this. I am nervous by nature and my eyes used to be clear (besides the odd vein of course) what I see now is llike a different person.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
I see.

you might need higher doses of antidepressants to help with your symptoms of depression and anxiety

it sounds like you will also benefit from seeing a psychotherapy counselor as well to discuss these issues you are worried about. the more you are able to talk about them, the better

ask your GP doctor to refer you to see a psychotherapy counselor for these worries.

and see if you can increase the dose on your antidepressant.

which one are you taking at the moment and what dose?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am on Citalopram 40mg a day.

Horrible thing is before my eyes got bad I was absolutely fine. I am prone to depression but I was looking after myself and really motivated, I was a good friend and cared about my appearance.

I start a new job in two weeks time, I am petrified of starting and them thinking I am ill or an alcoholic with these eyes. I just need to know they will get better and I can work towards that, I am scared this is for life and angry that I am getting so worked up about it. So sorry I am ranting on. I know that my problems are nothing compared to others.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
40mg is the max dose of citalopram

it sounds like your anxieties are out of control

you might benefit from a long acting anti anxity agent like klonopin or valium

have you taken these before

are you willing to talk to a psychotherapist about these worries you are having?

if you are not an alcoholic, you don't have to worry about people are thinking of you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't really have time to see a counselor, especially with a new job looming : s

I can see from a very rational side of me that this is mind over matter but I am struggling atm. I know when my eyes get better I will be better, just need that reassurance off a professional because so far no one has given me hope and the worry has manifested. Veins cause by irritation can't be permanent right?

No never taken anti anxiety pills before, before all this I was a rational person. Thank you for your answers, I appreciate the time you are giving.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
veins and blood vessels in your eyes from irritation and dry eyes are not permanent

and your eyes will get better.

I hope you get over this excessive focus on your eyes.

do give consideration to speaking with a counselor and do speak to your doctor about anti anxiety medications to see if you might benefit from them

good luck on your new job

I'm sure your eyes will be fine.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician