Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi there, I am a 29yo male, binge drinker every weekend for

Customer Question

Hi there, I am a 29yo male, binge drinker every weekend for past 10 years. Recently had my liver tested, AST 27, ALT 14, GGT 13. So all in normal range but I am worried about my AST/ALT ratio as quite high (1.92). Could this be due to drinking or other factors? I know I need to cut back a bit but was wondering if ratio matters when readings are in normal range. Thanks a lot
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

When both the AST and ALT is normal, the ration between them is not meaningful. WHen the enzymes are elevated, an elevated AST/ALT ratio can suggest that the abnormality is due to alcohol, but this same statement cannot be made when both enzymes are normal.

Therefore, at this point, there is no evidence of liver toxicity from the alcohol that you are drinking. You are correct that it would be wise to avoid binge drinking, even though these lab tests are not worrisome, but there is no reason for concern about these lab results.

If I can provide any further information or clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much for your answer. Regardless I will go for another test in 2 weeks!

You are welcome to be tested again in two weeks, but it would be better to cut back on the binge drinking regardless of the lab test results in two weeks.