Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Ive recently started work again after a month and a half in

Customer Question

I've recently started work again after a month and a half in between changing jobs and I'm noticing when I walk in to the town centre my muscles in my legs get tense and painful (like a cramp sensation)... If I have a few minutes where I stop walking I'm normally able to continue walking without issue. I cycle some days nearly 20mile in a day and don't get any of the pains I get when walking. I'm male 23 years old. Info is very much appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.

Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Hello and welcome. This is unlikely to be anything serious since you are only 23. Most causes of leg cramps in young adults are classified as "idiopathic" meaning no known cause and not harmful.

Dr. K. :

Since you are a cycler and in shape, your leg cramps are probably from lactic acid buildup from the exercise. Hydration can help with this as well as stretching after a long ride and in the mornings.

Dr. K. :

Hope this answers your question.

Customer:

Hi Dr K

Dr. K. :

Hi there

Dr. K. :

Im here

Customer:

The concern is there as its been happening a while just not quite as consistently as it has been recently. A couple of people who I've spoken to have thrown the idea around of circulation issues is this a possibility? I do have an appointment booked with my GP in a week to have it investigated further.

Dr. K. :

Thats the first thing many people think of, its called claudication. But theres really no way you could have it if youre 23 and athletic

Dr. K. :

I think dehydration, low sodium, low potassium, low calcium and lactic acid buildup are five possible causes much more common in young adults. And again the most common cause of all is idiopathic,meaning no cause is found.

Customer:

That's reassuring I'll start upping the water intake and doing stretches. Another concurrent symptom sometimes not always is a tense lower back does that fit in with your suggestion? Thanks again very much appreciated

Dr. K. :

Yes it sure does, sounds like a bit of a strain due to cycling.

Dr. K. :

Same treatment is recommended. Stretch after your rides

Customer:

Thank you very much.

Dr. K. :

Im still here, ok.