Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My husband has stage 4 Prostrate cancer. Had chemo 2 years

Customer Question

My husband has stage 4 Prostrate cancer. Had chemo 2 years ago and been on 'Arbiratone' for 1 year. On Monday (14th April) we were told that PSA was beginning to rise again(is now 40). Other than being offered to take part in a Research Programme nothing else was offered. We have investigated a treatment called 'Xofigo-Radium 223 that seems to offer constructive help. My husband is 78 years old, extremely fit, enjoying good health and is an active member of the community. As the aforementioned treatment is extremely expensive we would be grateful for your opinion on the effectiveness of this new treatment.

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

Dr. Phil, MD :

standing by

Hi there

I noticed that you couldn't enter chat

I switched to this format

I don't really recommend this drug for most people

The studies done on this drug showed that average survival was 14 months with the drug and 11 months with nothing

so it prolonged life by 3 months only with a lot of side effects

If those results are adequate, then you should try it

If you are not willing to subject your body to side effects for 3 months then I would avoid it.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor

we are starting to offer xofigo to patients who have hormone refractory prostate cancer whos cancer continue to grow dispite anti-testosterone therapy.

I disagree with the other expert.

the side effects are minimal to none

blood counts stay good. the risks for drops in blood counts in the xofigo group was less than the placebo group. LESS than placebo!

patients have less pain and better quality of life on their questionnaires on xofigo.

much better tolerated and much less side effects than taxotere chemotherapy

and less expensive than Provenge.

here is the NEJM trial

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1213755

"A significantly higher percentage of patients who received radium-223, as compared with those who received placebo, had a meaningful improvement in the quality of life according to the FACT-P total score (i.e., an increase in the score of ≥10 points on a scale of 0 to 156, with higher scores indicating a better overall quality of life) during the period of study-drug administration (25% vs. 16%, P=0.02). The mean change in the FACT-P total score from baseline to week 16 significantly favored the radium-223 group, as compared with the placebo group (−2.7 vs. −6.8, P=0.006)."

Xofigo can also be used with second generation antiandrogens such as Xtandi and Zytiga.

I prefer Zytiga's mechanism of action.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX for your remarks. Radium 223 is a very expensive treatment and before we could even consider it we need to know its success rate. Also, as we live in Ireland I was wondering if the treatment is carried out anywhere here rather than travelling to London for it.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
I don't know if it is available in Dublin or not.

it is made by Bayer pharmaceutical company

I would call this number to see if it is available

Bayer Limited
Bayer Limited The Atrium,
Blackthorn Road,
Dublin 18,
Telephone: +353 1 2999 313
Fax: +353 1 2061 456

http://www.medicines.ie/medicine/15930/PIL/Xofigo+1000+kBq+mL+solution+for+injection/

good luck

hopefully the govenment will help pay for it.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr David, apart from the lack of side effects is 'Xofigo' effective in prolonging life?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
yes, xofigo can prolong life on average 14 months.

that means 1/2 of the patients who got xofigo lived longer than 14 months and 1/2 lived less than 14 months.

it can also improve quality of life and decrease pain.

the patients in the clinical trail were quite sick and had very advanced cancers.