Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

What happens if you go in for surgery for appendicitis and

What happens if you go in for surgery for appendicitis and it is not inflamed, do they still remove it?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Yes they still remove it because appendix if removed does no harm to the body and moreover it still can have infection inside even if it doesn't look inflamed. It can be sent to Lab for histopathologoical analysis for inflammation where many a times normal looking appendix can turn out to be inflamed under microscope. So yes if they have started surgery, they should remove appendix even if it normal looking because removing it will not have any side effect. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When do they do decide to go ahead with surgery? If someone is showing severe lower abdominal pain and has constipation and hurts when pressing on lower right abdomen?

I am happy so far with your service Dr Hasan.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your appreciation. Once they have opened the abdomen, they remove the appendix (provided they started surgery with a suspicion of appendicitis). In such cases preoperative diagnosis and evaluation is of prime importance and they must get blood complete picture and ultrasound of lower abdomen along with urine test for infection before proceeding for surgery. It happens that sometime they suspect appendicitis on clinical examination but no test is supportive but they still open the abdomen because sometime clinical examination is clearly in the favour of appendicitis. The experience of surgeon matters a lot here in preoperative assessment. I hope this helps you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to clarify what you have said. What in a clinical assessment would make a doctor very inclined to go ahead with surgery?

This is my last follow up question and I'd like to thank you for your excellent service so far.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your input. The following things in clinical assessment can make doctor feel like that he should go ahead with surgery.

1. Positive clinical signs of appendicitis like pain in right lower abdomen on turning the leg of patient, pain in right lower abdomen on pressing the left lower abdomen and pain on sudden release of pressure on right lower abdomen.

2. No response to antibiotics.

3. Persistent loss of appetite.

4. Lack of bowel movement and lack of passing air.

5. Elevated white cell count on blood complete picture.

One or more of the above can make surgeon inclined towards surgery. I hope this helps you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.