DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello I am a 51 year old female, who has recently been experiencing

I am a 51 year old female, who has recently been experiencing muscle weakness and pain in my lower back down into my upper leg, particularly if I move suddenly or stumble. The muscles in that area seem to pull very easily and I am also uncomfortable if I sit for too long.
I am other wise fit and well; I swim regularly and I have recently been training to run a 10k road race. It was during my training for this that I started to experience pain and the pulling of the muscles in that area. I have not run for at least 2 weeks, however the symptoms are getting worse and I feel a little unsteady on my feet as the pain is quite severe should I trip or stubble even slighlty.
I hope you can give me some indication as to what may be causing this, thank you.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
This is typical of sciatica
What evaluation have you had?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have not had any form of evaluation
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
This pain is typical of a compressed disc in the lower spine.
It happens gradually over a lot of time.
It can usually be reversed with the correct manual medicine program, not just physical therapy, but maybe the correct traction techniques and so on. Sometimes just with physical therapy and home exercise.

I would see a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor, a type of MD about this, as this is their area of expertise.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].