Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Are faecal calprotectin levels normal in ibs sufferers ?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am going to address your primary concern but you can ask anything you want later. Yes faecal calprotectin levels are normal in IBS patients. faecal calprotectin is indicator that there is inflammation going on in the intestines. So having high faecal calprotectin means that you are suffering from inflammatory bowel disease which includes crohns disease and ulcerative colitis. As far as endoscopy is concerned, it will be your doctors choice because faecal calprotectin is specific for inflammatory bowel disease. If you are worried about getting an endoscopy done then you can have a simple test called capsule endoscopy in which you just have to swallow a pill and doctor can take pictures to get the view of inside of your intestines. The doctor you must see should be a gastroenterologist and he can treat you with anti inflammatory drugs like steroids and there are many other choices. But the good thing is this that you have got a diagnosis and you are going to be fine after treatment. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.