Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Hi, Im suffering from headaches on a daily basis for months

Customer Question

Hi, I'm suffering from headaches on a daily basis for months now that are getting gradually worse, like a pinching pain in my head,I'm tired all the time, get dizzy spells occasionally, my eyes can get blurry, im always extremely thirsty but cant quench my thirst and I haven't had a period in nearly 2 years....! It's starting to get me down... My doctor has done blood tests and said they are all normal... They did an ultra sound and said I had a few cysts on my ovarias but nothing serious... They now have told me there is nothing they can do and just to come back in 6 months time for another blood test... So im just to put up with it after 2 years untill november now! Any ideas as to what might me wrong with me?!
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.

Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Has your Dr done a prolactin level?

Dr. K. :

Hi there, has your Dr done a prolactin level?

Dr. K. :

Have you been tested for diabetes?

Customer: Yes, doctor did prolactin tests and said they were high at 900 but not high enough for concern... Haven't been tested for diabeties though!
Dr. K. :

What are the units for the prolactin? If its high, its not to be not concerned about. Headaches and lack of a period in a young woman is from a prolactinoma. This is an overgrowth of cells in the pituitary gland. Excess prolactin is made. The menstrual cycle may be irregular or not come at all. Headaches are common. If it grows too large blindness can occur. It sounds to me like you need to see a new Dr. You should also be tested for diabetes if you are always thirsty. I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My prolactin levels are in the 900's ... Doctor said that it should be under 400 but won't do an MRI or CT untill prolactin levels are in thousands so told me to come back for another blood test in 6 months to see how high they are then!! Might just go to another doctor so and see what they say just incase... Thanks :)
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, this is far too high. You need an mri or ct scan. This is a prolactinoma. It is the source of the headaches and is the reason you do not have periods. Please see a new Dr! :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is a prolactinoma a form of brain tumour?! Would you see this as a matter of urgency?!
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Its a tumor of the pituitary gland, an overgrowth of cells. Its in the brain. It has NO potential for malignancy. I would see this as a matter of urgency, you have not had a period for 2 years which is not health and the prolactinoma has potential to affect your vision. Please get a new Dr. assp