Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi, my father is 70. He had an allergic reaction to ibroprofen

Customer Question

Hi, my father is 70. He had an allergic reaction to ibroprofen when prescribed it a few years ago so can't take it now. He has seen his gp who has tested for RA and it came back as negative. He refuses to push for medical attention and hates to make a fuss but I am very worried about him..
He is exhausted, can't sleep from pain and then when he does doze off he then seizes up and can't move. He has really swollen hands that appear to be the colour of dark bruising now ( they were puffy and normal colour a month ago, red and swollen 2 weeks ago) he is suffering with all his leg joints and shoulders (his knee was the first symptom, it swelled up and was painful about 3 months ago) he has lost weight dramatically and appears to have aged 20 years in as many days.
Please help
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
How much weight has he lost?
Is he having any fever or chills?
Does he have any other chronic medical problems?
Is he taking any chronic medicines?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
About two stone in a couple of months
No fever or chills
No other chronic medical problems nor is he taking any chronic medicines
Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

Certainly, one of the possible conditions would be a systemic inflammatory condition. It is good that the RA test was negative, but there are several other conditions to consider, such as systemic lupus erythematosis (SLE). SLE is an autoimmune disorder (a disease in which the body makes antibodies against your own tissue) and can affect multiple body systems.

Another type of condition to consider would be a disease process that may adversely affect how the blood clots. When the blood does not clot well, that can cause bleeding into joints and bruising of the skin that can be quite profound. Some of these conditions can occur with systemic infections, which is why I ask about whether he may have had any fever. Other conditions of this type can be because of a direct effect on the blood clotting mechanism or diseases that affect the organs that are the source of the blood clotting factors, such as the liver or bone marrow.

I realize that he does not want to seek medical attention, but the symptoms that you describe truly needs urgent attention. If he cannot take ibuprofen, then he also should avoid naproxen, as they are in the same chemical class. The use of paracetamol is the usual next recommendation, but there would be concern about using much paracetamol if there is liver disease present. The only other options for relief of symptoms would be local care, such as the application of ice or moist heat, or the topical application of capsaicin cream, which has been shown to help ease symptoms from arthritis.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.