Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a lumpy vein on the top of my leg which is slightly

Customer Question

I have a lumpy vein on the top of my leg which is slightly painful and achy and it now has red spots on it and I'm only 21 ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--where exactly is this and is it a vein that's been enlarged for some time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
On the inside of my upper leg and it has been there a couple of years with no problems and now it's achy and painful with with 5 red spots on top of it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Charlene. This sounds like what's called a superficial thrombophlebitis. You probably have a clot that's gotten infected inside the vein. Not as serious as a deep venous thrombosis since there's no risk for a pulmonary embolus. Warm heat and elevation of the leg will help for now but you should see a doctor about this for some antibiotics
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So if this is just left will it be ok or what would happen if its left I have mobility problems anyway where I broke both my feet and can't walk very much and more swelling in ankles
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
It will likely just resolve with the elevation and heat Charlene but it would be best to have a doctor look at it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Charlene but let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you