DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Dear Dr, My son has this spots n patches on his hands and

Customer Question

Dear Dr,

My son has this spots n patches on his hands and legs. Spreading rapidly. They appear smooth but am not too sure. He sits at his desk with the computer quite a bit n the room can be stuffy.

Am very confused if it is vitiligo or something else.

Please advise,
Jennifer
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
How long?
Do you have a picture?
What color
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Seemed to have started recently
Whit e
How do I send the picture to you
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You can upload it to photobucket.com and give me the link
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry where is photo bucket?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
www.photobucket.com
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry never used this before.

He had these spots around his ankle area where he wore socks when he was 14. We used to live in Singapore. He played football every day so I thought the spots were due to sweat. Didn't think much. But recently in uk, they spread fast. In to patches. He is also under a lot of stress for his a levels. And the sore of his feet are always sweaty and he placed his hands on table to type on computer for a long time.

The spots appear smooth but am not sure.

I have psoriasis so am worried that he might have vitiligo. Or could it be tinea versicolor?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
Still no pictures.

It can be tinea, there are other forms of tinea that cause depigmentation as well.

I did not realize you have not had this examined.
Any such finding spreading rapidly could be tinea, eczema, psoriasis, vitiligo, or ringworm.

Not only inspection but a sample for the lab might be needed.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].