DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have dry eyes at night. It locks/glues together when closed

I have dry eyes at night. It locks/glues together when closed for a few minutes and have to open it by spraying it with saline solution after which it will slowly open as the saline penetrates through my eye lids. This happens every night now for two months. The Optometrist and Ophthalmologist (I consulted two) treats me for dry eyes (the usual drops etc). The Ophthalmologist also discovered that my Myobian Ducts are blocked. I purchased a Blephasteam and am now using it for one week (am and pm). Nothing seems to help!
I am 54, take omegas, am on progesterone (for the last three months) and also take thyroid medication (for the last three months).
I had plugs inserted in my lower eyelids.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me what your TSH is, the most recent value?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My last TSH test was done three months ago. I will contact my medical practitioner today to get the result from her. Do you perhaps want me to have a new test done?

Laetitia

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No I will be able to tell what I need to know, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

January 2014 my TSH was 0.36

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
How long ago was that done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As indicated, this was done in January 2014, then my TSH was 0.36

She (my MD) has suggested a CMP (Comprehensive Metabolic Panel) to be done?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
This is borderline hyperthyroid.
I would repeat it, along with thyroid antibodies.
yes, if these are positive and the TSH continues to go lower, then autoimmune disease is quite possible.
You also need an ANA panel and sed rate.
Sjogren's syndrome might be a complicating factor here.

That would be a next step with your other labs.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr Thomas. May I just ask one more thing!? For eyes to shut so intensely is not normal and not common under dry eyes even not with people with thyroid problems. With this being said - is there a solution and what is the solution? Will medication and the correct treatment open my blocked myobian glands (I forgot to mention that earlier)

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
If it is spasm of the eyelid muscles, that is a different issue.
Often this can be addressed with botox.

DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.