Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Hi I have depression and was given flouxtine 20 mg for six

Hi I have depression and was given flouxtine 20 mg for six weeks felt really ill on them doctor has changed then to sertraline 50mg but to take nothing for 4 days I am on my 4th day today due to start sertraline tomorrow, I was on lofepramine for many years and coped quite well on these but they took me off them due to bowel problems I do not cope well on antidepressants with side effects so plodded along with the flouxtine but just got worse, I am really worried about starting new drugs tomorrow I have been given 50mg but have read on net its possible to start on 25mg to see how you go on them is it ok to do this and can you halve the 50mg tablets, cant talk to doctor and have got to start them tomorrow very worried which is not helping had really bad head since being on the flouxtine which seemed a bit better since stopping them but not good today
thankyou sandra
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes you can start at a dose of 25 mg once daily.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This is in fact the dose that I personally start this medication whenever I do start it.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You can use this medication at this dose for one week and if you do not have any side effects and if you tolerate it well then increase to 50 mg once daily after one week.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes you can halve this tablet preferably by a pill cutter which are commonly available in pharmacy stores.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Rate me for my services when you are done asking.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest Regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

I tried the live chat services but could not connect with you.
I have answered your question above. Let me know if you have any further questions. Rate me for my services when you are done.
Kindest Regards