Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi Im currently living abroad, and finding it difficult

I'm currently living abroad, and finding it difficult to get english speaking medical appointments.

My query is relating to Sarcoidosis, and whether this could be a possible diagnosis.

to rush through medical history, i am currently 28. i have always had loose joints and have been treated on and off for related joint pain with anti-inflamatories

at 16 i had some kind of chronic fatigue syndrome leaving me fairly immobile for 6 months.

at 18-19 i had an enlarged lymph gland in my neck which was initially investigated for non hodgkins lymphoma and was diagnosed after investiagtion as simly being inflamed and enlarged. this took about a year to fully resolve

at 20 i had a bout of acute iritis, this has recurred once since. At this time it was suggested by a specialist that i should be aware of sarcoid. resolved in around a month

at 26 i was diagnosed with an inflamed liver, which was supposed to be viral, but no firm cause was confirmed. resolved in 3 months

at 26 i woke up one morning to find the joints in my fingers to be swollen and painful. this resolved in 1 week

last week i woke again with the joints in my fingers swollen and painful, and went to a doctor where an exam revealed my abdomen was tender and he diagnosed me with gastritis also. blood tests have, as usual, come back normal. after 4 days the hands seem better.

over the past year, i have been having on and off pins and needles and a few other little bits and pieces.

Would these symptoms be consitent with sarcoid? or any other condition? Dont worry, im not a crazy nut who will take your opinion as a full medical diagnosis :) just trying to handle health matters in a foriegn country and language can be quite stressful, and if there were some pointers i can give to the doctors here, that would be great

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

it sounded like you most likely had mononucleosis infection when you were 16

Dr. David :

your symptoms don't sound like sarcoidosis

Dr. David :

you should get testing to check for hepatitis liver infection.

Dr. David :

swollen finger joints should be checked for gout and jeuvenile rheumatoid arthritis.

Dr. David :

there are specialist blood testing for that.

Customer:

Thank you for your prompt reply, I was checked for hepatitis at the time, and have regular blood tests due to my profession, so i know that 3 months after i became ill that time, my liver function returned to normal, and i have had no ill effects since.

Customer:

they have checked my blood for since for rheumatics, both this week, and in the past when i have had similar problems, with nothing found

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

sarcoids often can cause excessive scar tissue in the lungs

Customer:

as for gout, i have no idea, but this would only fit the symptoms for my hands i think no?

Dr. David :

you might want to get a chest CT scan

Dr. David :

gout testing would be a uric acid level test.

Customer:

i had full urines done last week

Customer:

as part of my routine work tests

Customer:

they were all fine

Customer:

i dont know much about gout, but i have been a lifelong vegetarian, so never really thought it could apply to me

Dr. David :

have you had a chest CT scan ?

Customer:

no, i havnt. ive had 2 bad cases of bronchitis in the last 2 years, but never had a CT

Dr. David :

sarcoidosis often deposits scar tissue in the chest and enlarges lymph nodes in the chest as well.

Customer:

is it possible that it could be sarcoid that just hasnt got around to the lungs yet?

Dr. David :

there is a chance of that possibly.

Dr. David :

but you won't know until you get a chest CT scan

Customer:

but from what i know about sarcoid, its symptoms are caused by granulomas, so there should be some somewhere

Customer:

ok,thank you very much

Customer:

ill suggest that to my doctor

Customer:

who will refer me to another doctor,

Customer:

who wil refer me to a specialist

Customer:

who will refer me to a CT clinic

Customer:

haha

Customer:

Italian system is interesting at times

Dr. David :

yes, I know.

Dr. David :

it might be easier for you to just start off with a chest xray

Dr. David :

which is less expensive.

Customer:

both are covered by my medical insurance, so its neither here nor there to me, as long as it is requested by a doctor

Customer:

and i work with radiation, so any cahnce to avoid x-rays is better

Customer:

Many thanks!, have a good weekend