Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Dear Doctor My son came home from University a week ago, he

Dear Doctor My son came home from University a week ago, he was very worried because before he came home he had been to a nightclub where there was a fight and many of the youngsters got splattered with blood, from a guy who told them he was HIV positive, my son got splattered on his TShirt under which he had a new tattoo a couple days before, he also was splattered on his face too. He has been to our local hospital and they have taken a blood test and also given him a Hep B jab, because he could have got splattered in his eye. I am now extremely worried about the rest of the family and myself, I had already washed the bloodstained TShirt without even knowing about this and I am now worried about useing the washing machine, also my son came to me as soon as he came home and asked me to feel his glands under his chin, he has a beard and I am worried that the infected blood is still there and I felt something up my nose and put my finger up there and I felt blood come from my nose could I be infected. I have just had treatment for Breast Cancer and had Chemotherapy about a year ago and Radiotherapy and a year of Herceptin, so my immune system is com premised at the moment. Also my son is a typical youngster and untidy and not always Hygiene aware, he will use his teenage sisters towel and anybody's toothbrush! I also noticed blood on the toilet seat after I used it but it was not mine, but I was bleeding from my bottom as I have a small tear in my anal passage which I am seeing a consultant about.
I am so worried that we will all be infected by HIV and through no fault of our own, I hope you can reassure me about this.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Did he have any cut or wound on the skin?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Was there any contact of fresh blood on a fresh wound or cut?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Customer: No but he had a new tattoo under his Tshirt
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Did the blood make direct contact with his skin?

Customer: I am not sure, but it was on his TShirt
Customer: And his face
Dr. Shahzad MD :

There is no risk of HIV if there was blood on his T shirt or face if there was no open wound there.

Customer: What about the eyes
Dr. Shahzad MD :

HIV quickly dies when the blood dries up.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Even if one odd drop of blood splashed on the eyes there is no risk.

Customer: What about the risk to all the family and the situation s I have written about
Dr. Shahzad MD :

No risk for family at all.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It is however recommend that all sexually active youngsters should be tested for HIV annually which is something that should be done in his case but this particular situation that you have described carries no risk of transmission of HIV.

Customer: Not even blood from TShirt in washing machine and my situation that I have explained
Dr. Shahzad MD :

No risk.

Customer: And also my open wounds which I have explained
Dr. Shahzad MD :

If someone has an open wound and HIV positive blood is splashed on the open wounds then there is slight risk yes.

Customer: But am I at risk from what I have written about in my original question
Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are not at risk.

Customer: Thank you for reassuring me
Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Tip/bonus is always appreciated.
Good bye :)