Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Have woken up after had trouble breathing. Had very sore right

Have woken up after had trouble breathing. Had very sore right tonsil last night this morning have both tonsils sore and larger and bit epiglotis attaches to also enlarged, effecting my voice, very sore to swallow. What is wrong with me?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some clarification:
Do you mean that you are no longer having shortness of breath?
Or are you still having shortness of breath?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since i have woken up and are now walking about i can breath ok again

Very good.

If the tonsils are swollen and red, that is worrisome for a tonsillitis. A simple throat infection can cause some diffuse swelling and redness, so can include the tonsils, but if the tonsils are affected to a greater extent, that is worrisome for tonsillitis.

It is good that there is no shortness of breath. If there is any type of infection of the throat that is causing shortness of breath, that is a sign that you should be seen emergently.

The majority of throat infections are viral in nature, but if there is a tonsillitis developing, that is more likely to be bacterial in origin. Bacterial infections of the throat are better treated with antibiotics, but it is usually not an emergency to be seen if there is no shortness of breath. Until you can be seen, it would be OK to perform home interventions to ease the soreness, such as with throat lozenges, numbing throat sprays, gargling with salt water, or drinking warm liquids, such as honey-lemon tea. It also is fine to use paracetamol for soreness in the throat.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.