Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I had surgery to release a trigger finger - middle finger right

I had surgery to release a trigger finger - middle finger right hand - 2 weeks ago, since when I cannot straighten the finger or make a fist. It feels tight and uncomfortable. The 2nd/main finger joint won't straighten more than about 140 degrees. I had no special risks, e.g. no diabetes or osteoarthritis, and having played piano and organ all my life, activities essential to my well being, my hands were generally very supple. There is still some swelling and considerable tenderness at the site of the op; consequently,when I had the stitches removed it was so painful that I had to ask the nurse to stop at one point, whereas I hardly felt them being removed after carpal tunnel ops some 35 years ago. I would be grateful if you could advise me whether physio will solve the problems, or do I need another op to correct whatever went wrong, or do I just have to put up with it?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
I think that you should stay in regular contact with your doctor and be preferably referred to a physiotherapist who is experienced in dealing with these kind of problems once you are cleared by your surgeon.
I think that with regular physiotherapy your problem should improve but this is a gradual process and will improve slowly in due course of time in the weeks to come.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me for my services when you are done asking.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not due to see my surgeon for another month. Wouldn't it be better to start physio asap? Is there a possibility that the op was botched?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Yes it would certainly be better to start physio as soon as possible.
The possibility that the operation was botched is very unlikely.