Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi, Im Male, 70yo, have had a heart attack, + triple by-pass,

Hi, I'm Male, 70yo, have had a heart attack, + triple by-pass, have no arrhythmias, no BP probs, bit low on energy, inclined to sleep during day, I don't take any drugs, do not suffer ED during night while asleep, BUT do suffer ED when I stand up? I think something is different with my blood during the night.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
When you say that you do not have ED while asleep, do you mean that you wake up with an erection?
What do you mean by having ED when you stand up?
Do you have the ability to check your blood pressure at home?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI, I often get an erection during the night, and regularly just before getting up. I'm currently having significant mental stress which has not affected the night time erections.

Q2, I cannot get an erection while standing or any time during the day lying or standing for that matter.

Q3 Resting BP=125/75 going up to 160/90 during extreme exercise.

Wish you well

Don Rowe

Thank you for the clarification.

It is not true that there could be a change in the blood during the night. However, it is true that there can be a change in blood pressure while awake or asleep.

However, the most common reason why a man will have normal erections while asleep and upon awakening, but then have ED when awake (lying or standing), is if there is a significant impact of stress or anxiety on the ED. There may also be an underlying physical condition, such as a vascular or nerve problem, but the stress or anxiety is more likely to be a factor. Since you say that you are under significant mental stress, this is the most likely reason why ED is more of a problem during the day.

From another perspective, if the Viagra is effective at helping achieve an erection, it is fine to continue to use it, as the Viagra has been effective at helping ED from many different underlying conditions, including when there is a significant component of stress and anxiety.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thank you for your response. The stress factor is quite temporary, but the problem has been for years. When first diagnosed I had blocked arteries, with the accompanying HBP. Now that's all cleared up using curcumin, cayenne, and ginger, but the problem persists.

1. How can I reduce the fibrinogen content during the day?

2. How can I naturally repair and maintain the endothelial lining?

3. How can I use the environmental Circadian rhythm to stop the clumping of the platelets?

4. What can I use to restore the elasticity of the capillaries etc?

Don

There are no interventions, natural or pharmacologic, that has been shown to be effective at improving ED by any of the mechanisms that you describe.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for trying. I didn't think there would be, but it was worth a shot.

If I do find an answer I'll let you know.

Don Rowe

You're welcome.