Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

I could do with some advice for a situation I cant quite work

I could do with some advice for a situation I can't quite work out in my head if possible and get a professional opinion on the situation. This may seem weird but hey, thats why i'm trying to get a professional opinion :)

I have a friend who I egged at the end of last year for loosing a couple of bets (that was the agreed consequence before the bet - suggested by me). Nothing was said since then until about six weeks ago when we were sat in McDonalds in the company of two other friends. We were all talking about the club showers and how they should be done up (we are all members of the club) at which point my mate says out of the blue 'Ive been egged in those showers before', so we explained why and that was that, I thought no more of it.

A few days later he sent me a text message saying 'wakey wakey eggs and bakey', just being daft but it got me thinking why would he mention eggs again?

A few days after that he did something (just messing about - chucked water down my back) and I told him his cards were marked, and kept him in suspense as he kept asking how. I had been shopping for a few things that afternoon and actually had some eggs in the car amogst other things so I raced him home, hid outside his house and waited for him to park up. Which he did, and not noticing me he walked down the pavement where I drove past him and slowed down, we had a little chat and he again asked what I meant by his 'cards being marked' and what i had planned to get him back, so I said I was just gonna chuck an egg on the wall above him but not actually hit him, just to scare him, but I thought it would be going too far. We had a little chat and when he walked away I jokingly called him back and said 'catch' mimicing throwing the egg whilst laughing. But he nodded yes and said 'go on then' so as a bit of a test I did throw it and he actually tried catching it (but failed).

The day after I was just going through my car boot and came across a pack of sweets (I was in his company at the aforementioned club) and I asked him if he wanted them, he replied 'no but id have an egg' - he did say it jokingly but why bring it up again?

There was then no mention of anything for a couple of weeks until last night I was at a poker night with him and after (as he had had a drink and I hadnt) I drove and we went for a bit of a drive for something to eat just before we went home. He started to fall asleep in the seat on the way home (Im fairly well known that if someone falls asleep in my car I will scare them in some way such as breaking harshly - when its safe). I said 'dont go to sleep because you know what happens when someone goes to sleep in my car'. He then replied 'I get egged?'.

Its just starting to confuse and intrigue me a bit now why he keeps bringing it up and im a bit puzzled trying to work out if hes trying to get a message across to me. Does he want to get egged again? Did he like it? Just seems strange that he keeps bringing it up again.

What could be going on in his head and could he be trying to portray a message to me?

I appreciate it may not be your typical problem but its really baffled me?
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Natasha :

hello

Dr. Natasha :

welcome to the chat

Dr. Natasha :

what is your question?

Customer:

Dr. Natasha :

can you sum up your question? There is a lot of information

Customer:

Of course, sorry :

Customer:

Basicly I egged a mate for loosing a bet at the end of last year and he keeps bringing it up in different situations and wont let it lie

Customer:

bit confused, could he be trying to get a message to me?

Customer:

or trying to tell me something?

Dr. Natasha :

yeah, he is pretty mad at having been egged

Customer:

hes mentuioned it a total of 5 times since

Dr. Natasha :

and his ego is bruised

Dr. Natasha :

and he wants to make sure you know it

Dr. Natasha :

and this is his way of embarassing you

Dr. Natasha :

So, your best bet, is to apologise

Dr. Natasha :

I am sorry for egging you

Dr. Natasha :

and 'what can I do to make this right for you?'

Dr. Natasha :

and you would be surprised at the response you get- now it is in HIS court to fix it

Dr. Natasha :

and allowing you to do so

Customer:

but he agreed to it before the bet?

Customer:

and to be honest seemed like he had a good laugh?

Dr. Natasha :

doesn't even matter

Dr. Natasha :

he is a sore loser

Dr. Natasha :

and so you should take the high road

Customer:

I was thinking of asking him if he enjoyed it because it seemed to have made a lasting impression? lol

Dr. Natasha :

no, I would not make his more embarrassed

Customer:

rather than appologise cus he would have done the same thing to me should I have lost :p

Dr. Natasha :

take the high road

Dr. Natasha :

yeah, but you are different than he is

Dr. Natasha :

people often bet and then they get really upset when they lose

Dr. Natasha :

and it becomes a different story

Customer:

But I dont understand why he would invite me to throw an egg at him a few weeks ago and then try to catch it?

Dr. Natasha :

because he thought he would catch it

Dr. Natasha :

and then when he didn't he was upset

Customer:

whats the best way to get the information out of him?

Customer:

whether his ego is bruised or if he wanted t do it again?

Customer:

how do i go about it?

Dr. Natasha :

your best bet, is to apologise

I am sorry for egging you

Dr. Natasha :

that is all

Customer:

and if he says nothing?

Dr. Natasha :

then that is his problem and if he brings it up, say I have already addressed this with you and now you are embarassing me

Customer:

and tbh I actually invited him to get me back if he really wanted to because i thought it had upset him and he said 'no its reyt'

Customer:

but still brings it up

Dr. Natasha :

then ask him not to bring it up

Customer:

surely there must be something else underlying?

Dr. Natasha :

or offer to make it right for him

Dr. Natasha :

he will have the choice

Dr. Natasha :

not necessarily- bruised egos go a long way

Customer:

in what way?

Dr. Natasha :

ask him

Dr. Natasha :

what can I do to make this right?

Dr. Natasha :

he will have the choice

Dr. Natasha :

maybe he wants to egg you for a laugh

Customer:

sorry it seems a bit weird but its just confused me a bit why he keeps bringing it up

Customer:

and its not always infront of others

Dr. Natasha :

people don't like being embarassed and now he is making YOU feel uncomfortable about it

Dr. Natasha :

so you are letting him control the situation

Customer:

is it normal to keep bringing it up then if its a brusied ego or he wants revenge?

Dr. Natasha :

correct

Dr. Natasha :

because he is upset and he is getting revenge on you right now by bringing it up incessantly

Dr. Natasha :

and making you upset

Dr. Natasha :

so, I would nip it in the bid and call a truce

Customer:

ok, seems a bit weird though to just put a couple of eggs in his hand and say 'egg me' lol

Dr. Natasha :

hey maybe is a strange egg, lol

Customer:

lol, or could it be done discreetly be having another couple of bets and us both loosing some so we both get it?

Customer:

could that make him feel better or exaggerate the situation?

Dr. Natasha :

if you want to continue playing this game with him

Dr. Natasha :

honestly, I would stop the game and just move on

Dr. Natasha :

and try to help him patch up his bruised ego

Dr. Natasha :

and find another game- like rugby or squash :-)

Customer:

haha its just a case if he will stop the game though

Dr. Natasha :

well, I don't think that there is anything secretive about the eggs other than him being a big baby about losing a bet

Dr. Natasha :

that is really it

Dr. Natasha :

and you can play along with it or you can take the high road as mentioned before

Customer:

you see i dont know if he liked the feeling and thats why he's bringing it up to do it again?

Dr. Natasha :

no, I doubt it

Customer:

and thats the secret and he just doesnt want to say in case it comes accress as weird

Dr. Natasha :

then ask him

Customer:

thats my main concern tbh

Dr. Natasha :

ask him if there is any particular issue about the eggs

Dr. Natasha :

AND offer to make it right (so he can save face)

Customer:

and if i ask him and it isnt the case then I risk sounding a bit weird lol

Dr. Natasha :

no, at this point, nothing sounds weird about this- the whole scenario is weird!

Customer:

lol i know! :/

Customer:

just comletely blagging my head

Dr. Natasha :

I wouldn't worry any more about it

Dr. Natasha :

this is what he wants

Dr. Natasha :

so:

Dr. Natasha :

ask about the eggs

Dr. Natasha :

ask if you can make it right

Dr. Natasha :

that is i

Dr. Natasha :

*t

Dr. Natasha :

*it

Customer:

ok thanks for that :)

Dr. Natasha :

you are welcome

Dr. Natasha :

did I provide you with excellent service?

Dr. Natasha :

hello?

Customer:

it was ok sure, just need to learn a few more bar bets now tho :)

Dr. Natasha :

ki

Dr. Natasha :

lol

Customer:

Can I come back at you if something else develops?
And his response to the questions?

Dr. Natasha :

sure

Dr. Natasha :

would you mind rating for the work so far

Customer:

:) ok will do

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained