Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have this dry cough that I get from time to time. How

I have this nasty dry cough that I get from time to time. How can I treat it properly?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--how long has this been going on? Any fever and the cough is completely dry?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've had in on and off for 5 years. I rarely have fever but I do cough up some colourless phlem.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Niall. How long does it last and have you had a doctor try to evaluate what's going on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My own GP examined me last year about it and said it was nothing to worry about. He prescribed Exputex for me.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
And have you had any problem with indigestion or heartburn? Are you on any other medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I havent. I take medication for epilepsy and depression.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Niall. Two possibilities here. One would be gastric acid reflux, even without any heartburn. If acid is welling up into your throat at night and being inhaled into your lungs, that can cause a chemical bronchitis and a dry cough. You could try Zantac or Prilosec daily for two weeks to see if that clears it up. That said, I'd get spirometry--a lung function test--since this could be a problem with asthma without the obvious wheezing. If that were the case, you might need an inhaler for when you have the coughing spells