Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Im a 64 year old male with a history of fractured vertebrae

Customer Question

I'm a 64 year old male with a history of fractured vertebrae and severe degeneration of the spine.
Q. Can a degenerative spine give rise to problems with my anal sphincter. sometimes when passing stools my sphincter doesn't close properly, other times it appears to function quite normally? I'm either having to use reams of toilet paper or minimal amounts.

Also can a degenerative spine give rise to problems with ejaculation. I'm aware that age can affect the strength of the male ejaculation but I appear to have some sort of correlation between ejaculation/sphincter and which part of my spine is giving me the most trouble on specific day(s)
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Have you had a recent imaging study of the spine, such as an MRI?

I had asked for some information and have not heard back, so will address what information is available.

Yes, it is possible that degenerative spine disease can cause problems with the anal sphincter or ejaculation. However, it is not quite the same as saying that a particular level is to blame. This is because the nerves that serve the anal sphincter and the muscles involved with ejaculation exit the spine at the sacral levels, specifically S2-S4. The sacrum is the lowest portion of the spine, but is a large bone that does not have discs that can degenerate into the spaces at which the nerves exit the sacrum. The primary mechanism by which degenerative spine disease can affect these nerves is by compression of the nerves as they pass down through the spinal column at the lumbar level, most often by pressure into the spinal canal, called spinal stenosis or cauda equina syndrome. There are many different symptoms that can occur in this situation, but affecting the anal sphincter and ejaculation are two of the possible symptoms.

I asked about whether there was any recent imaging study of the spine, such as an MRI because if one has not been done recently, that would be the next step, and it should focus on evaluation of the lumbar spine.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your informative reply to my question. I had MRI 2009 which showed "significant degeneration of the spine" and further scans in 2012 which showed "further significant degeneration of the spine." Pain relief is by Zomorph 10mg twice a day.

Apologies for not replying to your request for further info, I'm onboard our boat at the moment and comms are not always perfect.

regards

Phil Benz

There is no problem with the delay; our goal is provide service to you, so your schedule should be accommodated.

It is certainly true that significant degeneration of the spine also can cause the pain and muscle spasm that you describe. And while pain from degenerative spine disease is far more common than an avulsion fracture, it still would be appropriate to confirm whether an avulsion fracture is present.