Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My daughter is diagnosed with schizophrenia 3 years ago , had

My daughter is diagnosed with schizophrenia 3 years ago , had very severe incident in Australia , near to die due to drugs and was sent back home and had to take medication.She was very anxious and heard voices, etc.After 1, 5 month the situation started to stabilize.She got a job, took her medication.After one year, she decided again to go to New Zealand.We tried to convience her not to go after so dramatic events in Australia.But we couldn´t keep her back.She took a loan to go and went.In New Zealand, after 5 months she stopped to take her medication and then things changed to worse again.Her thoughts came wierd again, she didn´t contact any more so often, quite her job.And was again without job and money.Met some man,this relationship was very unstable and they started to drink, what leaded her to total collapse in last August.She stopped drinking and again volices started.She got a new job, but quitted after 3 hours, because of voices.She became very difficult to communicate and angry and unrespectful to me(I am her mother) .Whatever I said, she put me down.She left her boyfriend and moved to another place and stopped smoking. She didn´t give me this address and she says that there is no phone etc.I try to be as patient as possible to keep the contact with her.But I am really desperate, because she is ill and so far, where nobody can´t impact her.She denies any assumptions about her illness.
My Question: What I should do in this situation-should I tell her directly that she is ill and it is for her best interest to start to treat herself?Or should I go there to talk to her?I am afraid to lose her, if I say.I am afraid to lose her as well, if I say from here, from such a distance?She is against everything I say.What is best way to deal with her?

Ene
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry that no expert has yet responded to your question, but this is likely because there is no single correct answer to your question.

It can be very difficult to get a person suffering with schizophrenia to accept that treatment is needed. And trying to place too much pressure on the individual may cause an increase in resistance. However, this can vary significantly from one individual to another.

In general, it is usually better to be honest with her regarding your opinion, without being pushy. It is also appropriate to be available to her in whatever capacity that she may find helpful. However, it is also usually too much to travel to her current location if she has not asked you to do so.

However, all of these statements may not be true for a specific individual. And you are far more familiar with your daughter than can be conveyed in a discussion in this forum, so the best advice is to follow the path that feels right given your knowledge of your daughter.

I hope that everything goes well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the answer.I know that whatever the illness is , it is better to cure it from the first incident, because it will get worse over the time.At the moment she has cutted herself off from her friends and even I try to keep contact, our communication is very painful for me, because her thoughts are very distorted. It became so after last incident step by step. She doesn´t want to say, where she lives etc.She is totally alone there and I have experienced already before that such withdrawal comes before the next incident.And she doesn´t understand the reality, up to now she doesn´t remind anything bad from the incident in Australia, where she took so many drugs and felt herself living in the reality show, where voices finally asked her to kill herself in ocean.But she doesn´t have any painful memories about this time.She is only afraid of the voices.But she can´t see any correlation between cause and results.

Does scizophrenia damage her brain?How important is medical treatment in her cure ?How helpful is theraphy?

Schizophrenia does not damage the brain. There may have been some damage to the brain during development that may have contributed to the development of schizophrenia, but it is not clear what causes schizophrenia.

There is no cure for schizophrenia. There are many different medicines that can help ease symptoms, and some people can have a variable course, but there is no treatment that will cure the disease. It is a condition that typically requires lifelong treatment.

Treatment is primarily done by medicines. Therapy is not a primary treatment for schizophrenia, but it may help persons with the disease come to terms with the condition and the impact that it has on their life.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you! May I understand that it doesn´t make any difference when to start the treatment, if treatment can just only to ease the symptoms.

Can the person understand that she has the scizophrenia?

My daughter denies any assumptions about her illness.

Is it typical for schizophrenia or just for her personality?

It makes a significant difference to treat early, but primarily to avoid complications of the disease process.

Many people with schizophrenia have difficulty believing that they have a disease process. One of the essential characteristics of schizophrenia is some level of misperception of reality, and this frequently extends to the acceptance of their condition.

This is frequently seen in people with schizophrenia; it is not unique to your daughter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

May I ask just how to deal on myself?

It is very difficult to go through this process and I don´t talk about to people, because it makes things only more painful and complicated as people

don´t know about such things.

When we received news from Australia that she might be dead and finally she wasn´t , then I went to the doctor and asked antidepressants for myself and took then 6 months just to keep myself together.

When she left for New Zealand I knew that she makes a difficult movement by moving so far and putting herself under stress again.Then I started to take again antidepressants for a while.But then I wasn´t sure or I didn´t want to belive that she has schizophrenia. After the incident last autumn I had to admit the reality.Even when she stopped drinking and had voices and collapse , then I found from the internet that detoxification process after stopping drinking may cause the same effect.

But her thinking and behaviour pattern is that what makes me believe that she has schizophrenia.

First incident happened after using heavy drugs, second incident happened after heavy drinking.

Is it typical pattern to schizophrenia?

If she has not been formally diagnosed with schizophrenia, then it is impossible for you or I to make any meaningful speculation on the possibility. Your original question stated that she was diagnosed with schizophrenia, and I have commented based on that statement. You now say that you believe she has schizophrenia based on her behaviour, which is not adequate.

However, it is common for persons with schizophrenia to have exacerbations with drug or alcohol use.

As for yourself, many family members of people with mental health disorders find that they will benefit from counselling, either individual counselling or group therapy with other individuals in similar situations. Antidepressants may help with depression, but counselling is usually better at addressing the difficult issues of dealing with this situation.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When she was in Australia,then after taking drugs she lost her mind and was hospitalised , where she was diagnosed with schizophrenia and sent out from Australia by escort person , who ensured her coming home.I called her every day and I know all this process of hallusionations and voices.

It was just hard for me to accept this diagnose, because I thought it might be as well because of heavy drugs. Sudden stopping drinking may cause as well hallusinations.

Yes, she got his medical diagnose in Australia and in New Zealand, when she was hospitalised after stopping drinking, when she made a total collapse, then they were surprised that she recovered even without medication.They diagnosed schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, but in the hospital they didn´t prescribe any medication.Just said that it is a lifelong story.It is what I have heard from her ex partner in New Zealand.

My concern is how to keep her away of further problems ,how to get back home where is possible to support her.In such distance it´s impossible.

Is it possible that the drugs and alcohol might cause such mental disorder?

I'm sorry for the delay, but I was away from the computer when you responded.

Since I cannot examine her, I cannot second guess the diagnosis made by a doctor that evaluated her. It also would be impossible to know what clinical presentation was present at the time that the doctor made the diagnosis, so I cannot say whether drugs could cause a similar presentation. The only way to address a question of whether the original diagnosis was wrong would be to seek another evaluation.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your compassion Smile

! I believe that it would be the best to get another valuation, but I know that schizophrenia is very complicated to evaluate . Could you suggest any best place or institution to do a new evalutaion?And any best route to get that?

I am not familiar with the facilities in New Zealand, but the most important characteristic would be a place that your daughter will trust, or she may not be willing to be evaluated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I know that the most important is to get her to be willing to be evaluated. But if she will agree then I would like to be evaluated in UK, in London or Cambridge.Or may be Scandinavian countries?

I'm sure that there are many good Psychiatrists and Psychiatric hospitals in London, but one that I have heard is quite good is the Maudsley Hospital.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr D Love, it is so good to discuss with someone about.If you could give me some advice or a hint how to get to this hospital?

You can visit their website at http://www.slam.nhs.uk/ and follow the links for mental health care.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you and sleep well! Smile

You're welcome.