Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I frequently need to during the night. Previously I

I frequently need to urinate during the night. Previously I put it down to drinking too much water during the day because I do a lot of sport and need to stay hydrated. However two weeks ago I had a burning and stinging sensation when I urinated. After one week the pain went away but 2 nights ago I woke 5 times during the night feeling my bladder was full but was unable to urinate then when I did it was difficult. I suspect some kind do of bacteria in my system. Are there any over the counter antibiotics I can buy to fix this problem ?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

You likely have a urinary tract infection or a prostate infection

There are really no over the counter antibiotics that are sold for this problem

It is something that you really need to see a doctor for.

They will test your urine for infection and if normal, test your prostate for infection

IF it is a simple urine infection, then a short course of antibiotics should help

If it is your prostate, a longer course is usually needed

If you have had unprotected sex, an STD screen is indicated as well

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, just reply. :)
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)