Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, I am 30 weeks pregnant. At 27w5d I went for a 4d scan.

Hi, I am 30 weeks pregnant. At 27w5d I went for a 4d scan. They were worried about femur length (47mm) so they referred me back to my own hospital who scanned me the next day (27w 6d) and I measured 50mm which was in the normal range. I went back to the hospital today and had a growth scan just to confirm everything was ok but although they were happy with my femur length measuring 54mm now, they were concerned about the head circumference measuring at 274mm as it had only increased from 264mm 2 weeks previous. They have referred me for another scan and consultant in 2 weeks time. Should I be worried? AC is just above 50 percentile and HC has been on 50 percentile throughout
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--just for clarification here what specifically did your doctor say about all this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The doctor hasn't seen me as it was done at the hospital. The registrar looked over the notes and asked the midwives to pass the information to me
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Gemma I see no reason for concern here. Those scans are not very specific and there can be variations in the measurements from scan to scan. From what you've told me, I think your baby is just fine and there's no need for you to be concerned. Just call your doctor and I'm sure he'll confirm what I've said here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So it's not likely to be anything relating to growth restrictions or the placenta failing.... (The growth rate of the AC tailing off?)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No--not related at all--I think everything's just fine
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Gemma--can I ask why the poor rating? Was there more information you needed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Gemma--I'm trying to help all I can so could you please tell me what more information you need?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You have told me an answer that seems to fob me off. If it was all fine then why would the size of the Head circumference cause them to want to do another growth scan and refer me to a consultant unless there was a worry
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Gemma--a consultant other than your current OB?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have not currently seen any consultants/obs. Only midwives as I have been considered a low risk pregnancy. It's the tail off in growth of the HC that has caused the rescan and referral
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. I understand your concern here but since you haven't actually seen an OB for your pregnancy up to now it's fully understandable that the midwives want you to do so. It only means that they have appropriately decided that this needs a doctor's evaluation. Since your pregnancy has been unremarkable up to this point I still don't think the consultant is going to tell you anything except that the baby is fine and you should deliver normally. Now, please, if you still need more information I'll be more than happy to continue but I'd like to ask that you not give me another poor service report and that you consider rating this answer positively