Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have a bad stabbing pain deep in my back, every minute or

Customer Question

I have a bad stabbing pain deep in my back, every minute or so. It moved round from a pain in my side yesterday. I have had 3 Ibruprofens and a Paracetemol but it does not seem to be responding to either. It does not respond to a change of position. Should I call a doctor?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

yes, you should call a doctor and be seen by a doctor.

Dr. David :

you could have a pinched nerve in your spine causing pain

Dr. David :

do you have any shortness of breath?

Dr. David :

at your age, chest pain and shortness of breath could be a sign of a blood clot in the lungs.

Dr. David :

or you could be having atypical signs of a heart attack causing this deep stabbing pain

Dr. David :

you should go to the hospital emergency room for urgent evaluation to check to make sure you are not having a heart attack

Dr. David :

women can have atypical signs and symptoms of pain when they have a heart attack.

Dr. David :

and not have the typical symptoms of left sided chest pain as men do.

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer:

I don't have shortness of breath or any other symptoms. There is just this regular stabbing pain every minute or so, quite deep in my chest. It doesn't hurt when I keep panting but I can only do that for a short amount of time. It has been going on all day (it is now 6pm) and was a steady pain in my the upper side of my back since yesterday. Now it has moved to the centre of my back, very deep.

Customer:

Sorry not deep in my chest, deep in my back next to the spine on the left side

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

this could be a herniated disk possibly in your spine pinching a nerve causing this pain.

Dr. David :

you should still see a doctor as soon as possible

Dr. David :

and get you heart checked

Dr. David :

and your spine checked, best with an MRI scan of the spine.

Customer:

It is bad enough to make me gasp in spite of the pain killers. I live in the UK but am in Spain until Friday. I think I will see how it goes until tomorrow and if it eases, have everything checked when I get back?

Dr. David :

that is risky.

Dr. David :

it is up to you

Customer:

So you think I should go to an emergency room or call a doctor right now?

Dr. David :

yes, just to be on the safe side.

Customer:

thank you.

Dr. David :

there they can check your heart and do an EKG and blood testing to make sure it is not your heart

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Dr. David :

is my website if you need to reach me again with other questions.

Dr. David :

do you see the ratings area below?

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

Customer:

will I get a copy of this by email?

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

yes, you have a link to this conversation in your email already

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

hello?

Dr. David :

do you have other questions?

Customer:

I would like to save our conversation. Will I get it in an email?

Dr. David :

you get a link in your email to this conversation.

Dr. David :

yes, it is in your email.

Customer:

Sorry I can see two buttons to press - one is the feedback adn one is 'save and exit'. I want to save and also leave feedback, not one or the other?

Dr. David :

the conversation is automatically saved.

Dr. David :

you can't have to hit save.

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician