Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

The skin on the back of my right hand is very soar to touch

Customer Question

The skin on the back of my right hand is very soar to touch what is the cause
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am sorry you are having sore skin

can you upload a clear jpg photo of the skin

here are instructions

type a word in the textbox and highlight it

then select the paper clip icon to upload a jpg

this opens a window where you can click next to the text box to select the jpg or pdf file on your computer to upload into JustAnswer

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. David

There is no point in me sending you a JPG of the hand as this looks perfectly normal. There is no redness, or rash or any visible sign of why this part of the skin on my right hand should be soar. It is more like a prickly/burning sensation. It is really hard to describe. Today for instance I have no problem with it at all, there is no discomfort at all but tomorrow it may be back to the soarness. Have you ever come across this condition before?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This could be from neuropathy from a pinched nerve in the neck causing the burning

Or from a neuropathy from the inlet nerve possibly in the elbow
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As your reply indicates it could be from neuropathy.(I'm not quite sure what that is) I do play a lot of golf could this cause the problem. I have been a golfer for some considerable years but would this suddenly develop? If this is the cause why would it come and go. I normally play twice a week but recently I have been playing one or two more days some weeks. Perhaps you could explain what the inlet nerve is in the elbow.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
playing golf can cause tendonitis and inflammation of the ulner nerve at the elbow

this could cause numbness of the back of the hand

also another potential cuause is a pinched nerve in the spine, like at the C7 level.

and MRI scan can check the spine to see if you have a herniated disk or a pinched nerve in your spine which could be pinching the nerve sporatically causing the numbness in the back of the hand occationally.