Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

is it possible that my partner could have gonorrhea in the

Customer Question

is it possible that my partner could have gonorrhea in the eye that developed 2 days after taking a single dose gonnoreah antibiotic and persist up to one week later with worsening symptoms. or is it coincidental ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--what exactly is wrong with the eye?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she has severly red eyes with yellowy discharge. looks like conjunctivitis

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. Eye gonorrhea is very rare and I don't think this is anything more than a simple bacterial conjunctivitis. That said, since it's gone on this long she needs to see a doctor for some antibiotic eye drops
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

many thanks for your response. However I am still concerned!

2 weeks ago i had burning when urinating and yellowy discharge from my penis, I went to see my Dr who have me a single dose pill for Gonoreah ad chylmidia. He also gave me a pil to give to my girlfriend and we both took the pills last Thursday. 3 days later my girlfriend started with severe pink eye in one eye, with yellowy discharge and swelling. She has taken further antibiotics and the eye condition has spread to her other eye.

So she has now taken antibiotics for Chyl and Gon as well as for the conjunctivitis. Could this actually be an STD in HER EYE or is it coincidental? Please also be aware that neither of us has had the test results back yet, and that the dose was taken as a precautionary measure. Furthermore my GF doesn't know that I was experiencing these symptoms, as she thought the pill was for Urethritis/ Cystitis. ALso we have only has intercourse once in the last 3 week and and we are both very hygienic and live in a developed country

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay--has she had antibiotic eye drops for the problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes she has been on them for 3 days and tablets too, the problem seems to be the same and spreading to her other eye

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
What specifically is the kind of eye drop antibiotic?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

chloromycetin

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. Actually I would switch her to tetracycline drops since those are more effective against bacterial conjunctivitis of any cause. From the extra information you gave me I don't think there's any chance this is an STD of the eye--gonorrhea or chlamydia. The tetracycline drops should clear up the problem so she should ask her doctor to switch to that. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you