Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My son has been vomiting since yesterday morning which continued

Customer Question

My son has been vomiting since yesterday morning which continued until 8-10 vomits then settled for some hours and late evening continued vomiting again a few times.
This morning again tried to vomit but stomach was empty. Then was fine for most of the day and has started again to vomit.
He's had 2 runny nappies since yesterday. Doesn't keep much down especially yesterday everything that went in kept coming out.
Today he's had a temperature late afternoon of 99F.
He's nearly 15months.
Our GP has not given anything and said its a bug.
He's had the flu before this which had been going on for 3 weeks and over. Then he gets this vomiting. With the flu he had a lot of mucus in the back of his throat which had reduced now due to vomiting.
Is this a bug or would you think it's some other issue? What can I give him to help his sickness?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I'm sorry that your son is so sick.
Have you been weighing him to see if there is any weight loss?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

The symptoms that you describe is due to a virus far more often than any other conditions, and if the physical exam by his doctor is also consistent with it, that further supports that it is a virus.

The usual approach to a viral infection of the gut in a child of this age is the clear liquids that you are using. The common medicines that we use to control nausea and vomiting in older children and adults are usually avoided in children under age 2.

If oral clear liquids are not sufficient to maintain hydration, then it may be necessary to give IV fluids. I ask about the weight because a loss of weight is the best indicator of whether a child is getting dehydrated, particularly of there is a 5-10% loss in weight.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.