Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Hi, Im 42 years and over the last 3 weeks have suffered with

Customer Question

Hi, I'm 42 years and over the last 3 weeks have suffered with the flu, so bad I had to be signed off work as the symptoms had caused myalgia in my knees and ankles. I have now recovered and been left with one symptom which is sore and red swollen nipples, more on the left than the right.. No lumps or bumps or temperature etc. I am due my period next week but this really is different to breast pain before a period? Any suggestions?}
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

If you have taken antibiotics be sure you don't have a yeast infection or thrush. This can be treated with over the counter clotrimazole cream twice a day until cured. It can cause red sore nipples.

Otherwise it may be due to hormones/your cycle and is not related to the flu. Sore nipples can be treated with hot compresses or tea bags for relief. Ointment for breast feeding mothers can also be used.

If the soreness does not subside in a week or so, you should see your Dr. I hope this helps.