Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have l kidney, been taking diuretics for 40 yrs. I now have

I have l kidney, been taking diuretics for 40 yrs. I now have edema, legs and stomache very swollen, ;egs painful. Waken me during the night. Any suggestions that can help me?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--are you saying you were born with just one kidney? Why the diuretics and how long has this been going on? Any other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was born with a damaged kidney. Had l kidney removed when i was 30 years old. I had chronic pylonphritas. " months after kidney removed started with problems, leg swelling, pains in chest. I was put on diuretics. I have chronic asthma, chronic neck and back problems. 2 whiplashes, back accident. Also Polymyalgia, which is dormant at the moment.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Beryl. How long have you had the present problem and when was the last time you had blood tests for kidney and liver functions? Any chest pain or shortness of breath?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had water retention for years. It has gone worse ove the last few years. I have blood tests every 12 months. My egrfunction is 60 at my last blood test in february 2014.I do get some chest pain and shortness of breath. Which seems to be going worse.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Beryl. At this point you need to see your doctor right away. While you may just need an adjustment in your medications, you may now be having congestive heart failure and it's also possible you've had or are about to have a heart attack. You should consider this an emergency and call your doctor right away