Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a dark painful brownish bruise on the side of my second

I have a dark painful brownish bruise on the side of my second last toe (just where the toe toe rests or has engraved its position). the pain is bearable and hurts a little when i walk. my father has athlete's foot and there is history of diabetes and asthma in my family. i was in tropical weather and just returned to the uk, however the pain began before i arrived
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--could you post a photo on this page?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

bruise on toe

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Mwelwa--how long have you had this and was there any trauma involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i think the pain started last week but no trauma to the affected area

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Mwelwa. This does do like a bruise and not a skin condition. Most likely you have sustained a small, hair-line fracture of either the first phalanges of that toe or maybe of the metatarsal in the foot itself. Usually these don't require any more treatment than to tape the toe to the toe beside it to splint the fracture and to wear flat bottomed open-toed sandal like shoes and they usually mend in about four weeks with no disability. If I were to see you in my office I would get a foot x-ray just to check for the fracture but I'd do nothing more for it than to tape your toes. By the way--these can happen without any noticeable trauma involved