DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am a 30year old male with history of moderate depression,

I am a 30year old male with history of moderate depression, anxiety and an obsessional neurosis.
I am currently experiencing increased paranoia in relation to what my friends are thinking of me and this is causing me a great deal of stress and making situations around my friends very uncomfortable and very difficult.
I am currently prescribed 200mgs Sertraline and 30mg Mirtazapine daily. I smoke 10 cig's a day, drink only on odd occasion and I don't take or smoke any illicit drugs.
So my questions are-
1, Would my GP prescribe Risperidone to go with my 200mg sertraline and 30mg mirtazapine?
2, What dose of Risperidone would you suggest?
3, Is Risperidone safe to be taken with 200 Sertraline and 30mg Mirtazapine on a daily basis in terms of medication interactions?

Thank-You
Alan
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No
Resperidone would not be prescribed along with sertraline.

In fact, respiridone would have negative interactions with both sertraline and mirtazapine.

This would not be a way to proceed.

Your doctor, hopefully a psychiatrist, needs to rethink your medication approach and in addition, you should consider therapy if you are not doing therapy.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you.

Do you think that I would benefit from an antipsychotic with my increasing paranoia?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
It is possible, but there would
have to be caution.
I would suggest that your doctor increase the sertraline, stop the mirtazapine [more dangerous combinaqtion] and cautiously add something like abilify.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The thing is I cannot sleep on Sertraline without Mirtazapine.

So as you suggested I will ask GP to review my medication and discuss adding an anti=psychotic.

Is abilify aripiprazole?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes that is correct.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's great thanks very much DR. Thomas.

I have found you to be very quick with your responses with high level of detail.

Many Thanks Al

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome anytime.
I am here daily.