Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

l returned to the uk on the 20th December last year after being

Customer Question

l returned to the uk on the 20th December last year after being away for 20 yrs working I Egypt since returning I seem to have caught every cold going and all have ended up with me having a nasty cough I now have yet another cold and a terrible cough so bad that I had to see my GP he rx antibiotics but I said to him I feel asthmatic I cough and cough until i'm sick my stats today were 88 my daughter checked as she is a paramedic i'm not coughing up anything but am exhausted I was a smoker but stopped now for the last 2 yrs but was more a social smoker before and didn't have a cough when I came i'm 64 yrs old and had I have forgotten what it's called but it shows itself like tb but I had a sore on my leg prior to getting this and was off work for 1 yr with breathing difficulties the only meds im on is thyroxin 200mcg do you have any idea's??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--first of can you clarify your reference to TB since I didn't quite understand that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was sarcoidosis

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
So you have a diagnosis of sarcoidosis Susan? If so how is it being treated?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No that was when I was 25 I was trying to give you some of my history

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Susan. Have you had a recent chest x-ray and by chance a breathing test for lung function called spirometry?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well you need both at this time since you may have pneumonia and an asthmatic component as well so you may need an inhaler in addition to the antibiotics you've been given. My chief worry is the O2 sat of 88--that is very worrisome and it can indicate that you might need hospitalization
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

l am a nurse and also wondered if I could have caught whooping cough which is here at the moment but maybe ot at my age ??

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That's definitely possible Susan so you need a nose or throat culture to check for that and it should be done right away
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks take care

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
You too and let me know how it goes