DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I started having thick dark brown discharge on 10th march.

I started having thick dark brown discharge on 10th march. I was supposed to come on my period on 17th march, but because I was on holiday I took two pill packs in one after the other. Even though I continued the pack, I still had the thick brown reddish discharge from 17th - 24th. I was having regular sex during this time, but still using my pill and he came out before he came inside me. But on the last day (24th) he came inside me. But the next day I stopped my pill and I came on my period and had a normal 7 day red blood period. I am now not on my pill as I decided to give it a rest. And I have not had sex since my last period. But my next period is late, and I don't know if I am pregnant? I took a test and it was negative. Does anyone know what this could be? Am I pregnant? Please help.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
The tests are now accurate
When exactly did you take the test?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I took the pregnancy test today.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
You should not be pregnant if your period would normally be due now.

I don't see pregXXXXX XXXXXkely here.
However, the discharge should prompt a visit to your doctor if this is not normal for you, infection and other causes need to be ruled out, and you should be up to date on your pap and pelvic exams.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your information. Yes my period is due now, but it hasn't come yet and this is what is worrying me. Can I physical be pregnant if I had all this dark discharge and blood? He came inside me once, but the day after is when I started bleeding. I am now not using my pill and I haven't had sex since stopping. Do you know what could be the cause of me not getting my period?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I don't think you are pregnant.
Repeat the test....if it is negative, no way.
Variations in period onset can be from many resons
Any illness
Infection
Thyroid, liver or kidney problems.
Stress
Weight loss or weight gain
Coming off the pill....

etc.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have moved country since my last period and have a new job, which also involves a lot of exercise. And also came off my pill, could these be reasons? When do you think will be the best time to take a test? The stress of thinking I could be pregnant probably isn't helping. But I don't understand how I could be pregnant because I had so much bleeding and discharge, and haven't had sex since the bleeding.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I think you can repeat the test now, with accuracy.
Yes, your changes can do this, temporarily.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you think it is likely that I am pregnant? Even with all the bleeding and discharge?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No
As I said above repeatedly, I do NOT think you are pregnant at all.

I would not continue to stress.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Even though he came inside just before I finished the discharge and started bleeding? Sorry for all of the questions
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You were covered by the pill essentially.
The fact that you have now stopped it should not make a difference
AND, you have a negative pregnancy test, and these new ones are accurate.

If you want to keep obsessing, I think you should go see your doctor and ask for the blood test.

These are always definitive.

Or, as I said, you can just repeat your home test for peace of mind.