Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Wednesday 23 April 2014 Hi, blood pressure went up the wall,

Customer Question

Wednesday 23 April 2014 Hi, blood pressure went up the wall, felt my lower right arm went sort of funny, and then I could not get my words out. My husband [Malcolm] rang the GP's they said to go to hospital. Anyway paramedics came etc and then took me there and I was very nervous as you can guess. They tested me on CT scan of brains, ECG, blood tests etc and all was clear. They now say it could have been a TIA though they think it could be food. But sending me to the TIA clinic anyway to be monitored. Malcolm tested me on the Moo Moo Milk Easter egg and my arm went down like a tin box on kinesiology testing. So it is possibly that, or is it the egg omelette or perhaps the tin of tomatoes we had with it Monday lunch time.. I never get troubles till it wants to come out. Then I get sometimes the BP rises to around 240 and once was covered in sweat and it was dripping off me as I sat in the loo trying to get it out. Once out within a few minutes I was right as rain and back to normal. I am fed up and sometimes when I eat I get worried about it in case I have any problems. But do get fed up analysing my food. Will go to TIA clinic anyway to make sure it is not a stroke. Sometimes I get frightened to eat. I know you will understand that. Oh well they will have to send me to a psychiatrist then? The Doc I saw yesterday said "what on earth does your surgery do with you". I said "they don't know". I showed him the list of what I cannot eat including wheat, gluten, dairy, beetroot, pineapple, herbs, spices, salicylates, aspirin, alcohol, onions etc No one seems to have heard of this BP going high cos of foods. I did find one person who said all they gave her is BP tablets but once I am normal I am OK. I am still going to the loo too many times but it is and has not been diarrhoea - just soft. Friday 26th April 2014 I am 72 and do have RA, OA, Fibro, osteoporosis, hypothyroid and coeliac. Can you tell me of any books that might help me? Have you heard of this BP happening cos of allergies [using the term in its widest form]? Can you give me any help? I can’t help myself it is hopeless Glennis XXXXXX 

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--how high did your blood pressure go then and what's your usual blood pressure?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I usually am about the 145 over 90 roughly right according to my GP last year when at another attack he gave me loads of blood tests etc and still could find nothing. It went up to 220 I think the ambulance said 229 at one stage but then started to come down and by the time of the hospital 30 minutes later it was still high but not that high. Pulse goes very fast like 110 and then starts to come down as I poo.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Glennis--why did the doctors think this was related to food and what food in particular?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This attack was the worst I have had. I have had one about two years ago. I eat bananas and then suddenly my pulse rose, BP also and my husband took me to the nearest clinic that is open all night at the hospital; and they thought it was food as once I had pooed it out the problems went and my BP came down until about 9am, around 9 hours after starting I was OK. Another time was onions and for that I sat on the pan and was sweating so much. I took off all my clothes and water poured off me. Once it was out in the pan, and I did feel ill, the problems went and I returned back to normal after 30 minutes. Felt better immediately. This was the worst time as I have said. It was not an anaphylaxis attack I have had those as well on lactose form tablets given to me at the GP etc.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Glennis. And have you had allergy testing by an allergist MD?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had tests at hospitals including the coeliac test. Onions and beetroot were my own investigation and accepted by my GP. Milk etc were all done at hospital but Not seen an Allergist as they are few and far between in the UK. Also cos I studied the subject [PhD immunology, ND etc] the GP accepted what I said. None of his tests after these incidents showed anything wrong.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Glennis. Before we continue--you've given me a lot of information to digest here, so can I ask what specifically are the questions I need to answer about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have you heard of this before? That is food causing these problems?

I have many books or can you guide me to be able to look at it in a book so I can understand it.

I want to avoid more upsets how can I do this. I stick to my diet and then find something upsets my body.

TIA was horrid though felt fine afterwards. I will attend the TIA clinic whatever is said. I am happy to pay more money for an answer as I am so desperate.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
One other question Glennis--were you checked for two things--pheochromocytoma, which is a problem with an adrenal gland tumor that secretes adrenalin, and carcinoid syndrome which is an intestinal tumor that secretes serotonin?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure of the names but was checked for something to do with the adrenal. Is this it...where one can suddenly get a high BP and the reasons are a tumour on the adrenal gland?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes--that's what a pheo does--was whatever was checked normal and were you told what was being looked for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

give me a minute and I shall look it up. I have all the results here.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

urine test 24 hour. 3-methoxytyramine output 639nmol/24 hr ,2300.0

normetadrenaline 1723 nmol ,3000.0

metadrenaline 584nmol ,1000.0

it mentions Phaeochromocytoma normetadrenaline 3000-6500 possible

metadrenaline 1000-2880 possible.

From what I can see I am well below it and I know my GP checked this last August 3rd 2013

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--then it's not a pheo problem then. Yes this sounds like a food allergy problem, so here are some links to very good books about that that can help you which your needed diet changes

http://www.health.harvard.edu/special_health_reports/food-allergy-intolerance-and-sensitivity

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Allergies-Intolerance-Identification-Treatment/dp/0892818751
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I may come back to you on this one as I so desperately want to avoid more of these upsets. Thanks for being so patient. Will send extra money as promised. Give me a week and I shall be here.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Glennis and I'll be here but please remember to click on a rating for my service to you